Minimum Graduation Requirements
To be awarded a Bachelor of Science degree in any field of engineering, you must:
- Complete the University and College requirements relating to writing and the UK Core.
- Complete the required number of hours, exclusive of those earned in freshman college algebra and freshman college trigonometry, with a cumulative standing of not less than 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Be admitted to engineering standing in an engineering program for at least the final semester, and complete the requirements of that program.
- Complete a minimum of 24 credit hours of departmental courses at or above the 300 level.
- Complete all departmental courses and technical electives with a cumulative standing of 2.0 or higher.
- Complete any additional departmental graduation requirements.
Please consult the UK Bulletin for more information.
The following criteria is used to determine an undergraduate student’s eligibility to receive graduation honors.
- “Summa Cum Laude”: A grade point average of 3.8 or higher for at least three years of work (90 hours) at the University of Kentucky.
- “Magna Cum Laude”: A grade point average of 3.6 to 3.799 for at least three years of work (90 hours) at the University of Kentucky.
- “Cum Laude”: A grade point average of 3.4 to 3.599 for at least three years of work (90 hours) at the University of Kentucky.
- Students with a minimum of two but less than three years of work (60-89 hours) at the University shall receive the appropriate commencement honors if they attain a grade point average of 0.2 greater than the above.
Applying for A Degree
Students are required to file a formal “Application for Degree” online through your myUK account. You may apply for graduation up to three semesters prior to the graduation date.
Degree Application Deadlines
- For a May graduation: April 1
- For an August graduation: April 1
- For a December graduation: November 1
Missed the deadline? You may still be allowed to apply. Go to Engineering Student Records (offices are located in 355S or 355R F. Paul Anderson Tower) to obtain current information and procedures.
- Check Your UK Email Regularly: Any updates from the College of Engineering will only be sent to your UK email address (@uky.edu; @g.uky.edu or @l.uky.edu).
- Stay Informed: Watch closely for graduation updates. Updates may be posted via email, through posts to information displays throughout the college, etc.
- Get Your Class Photo Taken: You will be notified via email when the photographer will be on campus. Formal attire is required and you will be asked to sign up for a time to have your photo taken.
- Expect a Delay on Getting Your Diploma: Your diploma will arrive in the mail around 8-12 weeks after commencement.
To participate in commencement, you must do the following:
- Complete all degree requirements and successfully apply for graduation online through your myUK account.
- Register for your ceremony on UK’s Commencement website. You must register during the semester you plan to graduate unless you plan to graduate in August. August graduates may participate in either December or May ceremonies.
- Purchase your cap and gown, as participation in commencement activities requires that you wear appropriate academic attire. Visit UK’s Commencement website for information on purchasing regalia.
Induction into the Profession Ceremony
The Induction into the Profession Ceremony, which comprises the Order of the Engineer and the Pledge of the Computing Professional, includes all engineering majors and has no continuing membership fees and only one meeting in your lifetime. You will take an oath similar to the Hippocratic Oath taken by medical doctors. Each new member receives a certificate and a stainless steel ring to be worn on the little finger of the working hand or for computer science majors an ASCII lapel pin.
The Induction into the Profession Ceremony takes place at the end of the fall and spring semesters. Information regarding this event will be sent out via email to those students who are eligible to participate.