Spring 2024 - Wednesdays 5:00PM to 6:00PM
1 Credit Hour
To introduce students to the principles of leadership, common strategies used by leaders and the communication techniques of effective leaders.
The course gives students an opportunity to accelerate their leadership development. This is accomplished through structured reading, reflection, discussion, and writing aimed at helping each student organize and systematize their leadership style in a written statement and a set of principles. We also expose students to the fundamental aspects of professionalism that underpins leadership including business communication, conduct and dress; making technical and business presentations; business and dinner etiquette; and the roles all these interactions play in developing a professional network. We also invite accomplished leaders to campus through the semester to address the class, affording students multiple opportunities to measure their emerging leadership and explore ways to incorporate the lessons of others in their leadership approach.
This 1-hr (P/F) course is designed for UK College of Engineering junior and senior level students to help further develop their leadership and communication skills sets. The program is very selective and competitive for course entry. The centerpiece for this course is to expose selected students to guest speakers from the UK College of Engineering alumni association and other distinguished guests throughout the spring semester. This course offers a unique opportunity for UK College of Engineering students to establish contact and interaction with some of the most successful and distinguished graduates from the University of Kentucky. Students MUST be available for all lectures and available for the capstone trip to Washington, D.C. (March 9 – 13, 2024).
Engineering students with engineering standing and junior or senior level classification are invited to apply for enrollment in this course. Information can be found at: EGR 490 - Engineering Leadership
Enrollment is extremely competitive and limited to 18 students. Student selection will be based on their academic record, participation in University and College programs, and their involvement with non-profit organizations.
During phase I of the selection process students are invited to submit a cover letter and resume as a pdf file (together with cover letter first) to email@example.com by Friday, September 15, 2023. Late submission will not be accepted. UK College of Engineering department chairs may also nominate student candidates by providing the students resume and cover letter. When submitting information please indicate “EGR 490 Leadership Application – Last Name, First Name” in the email subject line. Phase II will include a personal interview scheduled for Thursday, September 28, 2023. These interviews will be arranged after phase I review of cover letters and resumes by the selection committee.
Dr. Rudy Buchheit, Dean of the College of Engineering
Previous Distinguished Alumni Speakers
- Ms. Billie Sue Chafins, Former SVP, Software Engineering at Disney Streaming and prior Billie Sue led Hulu’s Seattle Office, B.S. and M.S. Computer Science
- Mr. Twyman Clements, Co-Founder and CEO of Space Tango, B.S. and M.S. Mechanical Engineering
- Ms. Joan Coleman, President of Coleman Consulting, B.S. Electrical Engineering and M.S. in Public and Private Management
- Ms. Rebecca Cowen-Hirsch, Senior VP for government strategy and policy at Inmarsat, Inc., B.S. Electrical Engineering, graduate studies in Engineering Management, graduate of the Space Institute Experimental Flight Test Program, DoD’s Acquisition Management Program, and the Cambridge Senior Executive Leadership Program
- Dr. F. Joseph Halcomb III, Private Equity Investor and Founder & CEO of Phoenix Initiãre, B.S. and M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Doctor of Medicine degree
- Dean Emeritus Thomas Lester, Dean of the UK COE for 22 years, B.S., M.S., and PhD in Mechanical Engineering
- Dr. Rebecca Liebert, CEO of Lubrizol, B.S., M.S., and PhD Chemical Engineering, M.B.A.
- Mr. Stephen Macadam, Retired CEO of EnPro Industries, Inc., B.S. Mechanical Engineering, M.S. in Finance, M.B.A
- Ms. Taunya A. Phillips, Director of the Office of Technology Commercialization at UK, President of the Alumni Association at UK, B.S. Chemical Engineering, M.B.A.
- Mr. Eric Ringer, Co-Founder and Director of Aviation Technology at Skyward, A Verizon Company, B.S. Mechanical Engineering, M.B.A.
- Former President of UK, Dr. Lee T. Todd Jr, B.S., M.S., and PhD Electrical Engineering
Expenses associated with this course are provided by the College of Engineering Dean’s Office. (This does not include course fees and tuition).