Thomas Lester Scholars Program
Automatically awarded to those who qualify!
The Thomas Lester Scholars Program awards a renewable scholarship totaling $12,000 over four years. Students receive $1,500 their Freshman year and the amount increases by $1,000 each consecutive year as long as the student maintains the proper conditions for the award. There is no application for the Lester scholarship. Incoming freshman are automatically offered the scholarship (pending funds availability) if the following requirements are met:
- Student must apply to UK and list a College of Engineering major by December 1. All test scores and transcripts must be in by that date, as well. Notification letters will be sent out in early January
- Student must have a composite score of 30 on the ACT or 1340 on the Old SAT (prior to March 2016) or 1360 on the New SAT (after March 2016)
- Student must have a math score of 33 on the ACT or 760 on the Old SAT (prior to March 2016) or 740 on the New SAT (after March 2016)
- Student must have a 3.50 unweighted high school GPA
For more information about UK Engineering scholarships for incoming and current students, see below.
There are two need-based scholarship opportunities for new incoming freshmen who are of residents of Kentucky:
- L. Stanley Pigman Engineering Scholarship
- Robert B. and Helen P. Jewell Foundation Scholarship
Only those with financial need are considered for these awards so a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) must be on file for the student so that we can verify that need. The FAFSA can be completed beginning October 1 for the upcoming school year, and taxes do not have to be complete to apply. Families can estimate income in order to get the FAFSA done early and update it once the taxes are complete. The University will receive the FAFSA information approximately two weeks after completion.
Each application will be reviewed by the College of Engineering Scholarship Committee as designated by the Dean. Students are awarded on the basis of GPA, ACT or SAT scores, writing ability, leadership potential and financial need. The committee will decide if a scholarship will be awarded, and if so, the amount of the award. These awards range from $1000 to $7500. Each year there are approximately 10 new need-based awards.
L. Pigman Scholarship recipients are required to live in the Engineering LLP their Freshman and Sophomore years.
DEADLINE FOR 2019-2020 IS FEBRUARY 15, 2019
These applications must be mailed with all supporting documents. Emailed and faxed copies are not accepted.