The minimum entry requirements for admission into the Pigman College of Engineering as a first-time freshmen student are both:
- ACT math score of 25 or higher, or the SAT equivalent of 590 or higher, and an
- Unweighted high school GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Additionally, students must meet the minimum Kentucky statewide academic readiness requirements for Reading and Writing to be admitted to the Pigman College of Engineering:
- Reading: Students must have an ACT Reading subscore of 20 or above (or SAT subscore of 25 or above in Critical Reading);
- English/Writing: Students must have an ACT English subscore of 18 or above (or SAT of 25 or above in Writing).
- Students who do not meet the reading/writing requirements will be required to take the ACCUPLACER exam and receive a score of 244 or better.
- Students who do not meet the minimum score on the ACCUPLACER will be required to take APP courses (UK 120 for Reading and UK 130 for Writing) and can be considered for admission to the College of Engineering after successful completion of these courses.
Test scores do not have to come directly from the testing agency. ACT/SAT scores listed on your official high school transcript are acceptable too.
If you cannot take or choose not to submit ACT or SAT scores with your admission application, admission into the Pigman College of Engineering as a first-time freshmen student is based on meeting one of the following:
- 3.0 unweighted high school GPA and calculus on transcript
- 3.3 unweighted high school GPA and pre-calculus on transcript
- 3.65 unweighted high school GPA
For students who meet the 3.0 high school GPA requirement but not the ACT/SAT requirement or the test optional requirements, alternative admission routes include:
- A score of 3 or above on the Calculus AB portion of the Advanced Placement Exam, or
- Eligibility to enter MA 110 based on the proctored UK Math Department Placement Exam. To learn more about the proctored ALEKS math placement exam and to register to take it, click here.
Students who are not initially admitted into the Pigman College of Engineering may apply at a later date as a transfer student.
All incoming freshmen and transfer students admitted to the Pigman College of Engineering have their major listed as “Pre-Aerospace Engineering”, “Pre-Biomedical Engineering”, etc. on their admission letter and in our academic system, myUK. The pre- designation will be dropped from the major name once the student achieves a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA and a minimum 2.5 GPA in select courses. You may view the select courses that count towards Engineering Standing for each major in the University Bulletin. Engineering Standing is necessary to continue in upper-level courses and to be granted a baccalaureate degree in engineering or computer science.