Many students enhance their academic career by becoming involved in student project teams and organizations. These activities can provide leadership opportunities, hands-on engineering experience and a chance to meet other engineering students.
The Engineering Ambassador Program was established to provide support for various College of Engineering activities including student recruitment, student orientation, Hall of Distinction, Engineers Day, alumni functions, and other special events. The Ambassadors are a highly select group of engineering students dedicated to enhancing the image of the College and the University of Kentucky and assisting with special programs of the College.
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- The AIAA is an international professional society who has a particular interest in aeronautics and astronautics. Recently at UK, a new program has been created to allow students the opportunity to focus their studies and earn a certificate in aerospace topics. We also currently have many students working in co-op and intern positions in various aerospace companies.
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE)
- The BAE Student Branch gives students a voice in the Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering Department and helps them to develop outside of the classroom into a person capable of leading a group of people. A big part of being a leader is being able to work in partnership with other people to meet your goals. Not only does the BAE Student Branch give essential leadership skills needed for the real world, but it also encourages a great team-building atmosphere as well. Whether it’s leading the group as president, or planning the socials and fundraisers, a member of the BAE Student Branch can find their niche and develop the leader inside.
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- UKAIChE is the American Institute of Chemical Engineers chapter for the University of Kentucky. We are a group of students and staff striving towards building a community for the chemical engineering students recognizable by not only the local campus but on a national scale during the biannual conferences presented by AICHe.
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- The student chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers ASCE at the University of Kentucky offers students an excellent opportunity to learn more about the civil engineering profession, gain valuable contacts with engineering employers, and get to know other students in the department.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Each year the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) sponsor a human powered vehicle competition. Student teams from across the country work to create the fastest, most efficient, and safest human powered vehicles to compete against each other. The vehicles are judged on design, safety, and performance and ranked accordingly.
- Association for Computing Machinery
- The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) is the world’s largest scientific and educational computing society. The activities of the University of Kentucky ACM Student Chapter include competing in intercollegiate programming competitions, hosting hackathons, and K-12 outreach in Fayette County.
- Chemical and Materials Engineering Graduate Student Association
- The Chemical and Materials Engineering Graduate Student Association (CMEGSA) was established to promote and foster graduate student – faculty relationships as well as provide an enabling environment for graduate students to interact with each other.
- Chi Epsilon
- Chi Epsilon is the National Civil Engineering Honor Society in the United States. Most engineering disciplines have a recognized national honor society. For the Civil Engineering profession, Chi Epsilon fills this role. Dedicated to the purpose of maintaining and promoting the status of civil engineering as an ideal profession, Chi-Epsilon was organized to recognize the characteristics of the individual civil engineer deemed to be fundamental to the successful pursuit of an engineering career, and to aid in the development of those characteristics in the civil engineering student.
- Eta Kappa Nu
- Eta Kappa Nu is a unique membership organization dedicated to encouraging and recognizing excellence in the electrical and computer engineering field. Members consist of students, alumni, and other professionals who have demonstrated exceptional academic and professional accomplishments.
- Engineering Student Council
- The Engineering Student Council at the University of Kentucky is committed to providing services and to furthering the development of the engineering student body. We will provide the means to coordinate the interactions of the engineering student organizations, for better communication between them and to enhance student programs. We will act as the liaison to the faculty, administration and Alumni Association to express student concerns and our commitment to the continuous improvement of the College of Engineering.
- Kentucky Society of Professional Engineers
- KSPE provides a variety of programs throughout the semester including review sessions for the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (FE) and professional luncheons. They also co-sponsor the December commencement dinner for College of Engineering graduates.
- Material Advantage is the student organization for four professional materials societies: The American Ceramics Society (ACerS), Association for Iron &
Steel Technology (AIST), ASM International and The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS). Kentucky’s student chapter works with local professional chapters to expose students to all aspects of materials engineering including industry, academia and government research.
- Mu Nu Gamma
- Mu Nu Gamma is a national honor society dedicated to recognizing and encouraging excellence in scholarship in mining and similarly named engineering programs. The mission is to contribute to the improvement of the mining engineering profession as an instrument for the betterment of society, to recognize the fundamental characteristics of the successful mining engineer and to aid in the development of these characteristics, and to institute procedures and practices for the improvement of the mining engineering departments at the schools at which chapters of Mu Nu Gamma are established. Founded in Spring 2011, the University of Kentucky Chapter is the founding chapter of Mu Nu Gamma and its Executive Director is on the UK Mining Engineering faculty.
- National Society of Black Engineers
- The UK NSBE Chapter is committed to the mission of NSBE -“To increase the number of culturally responsible black engineers, who excell academically, succeed professionally, and positively impact the community.”
- Phi Sigma Rho
- Phi Sigma Rho is a national sorority for females studying engineering and the sciences. We promote life-long friendship, high standards in scholarship, and service to our school and community.
- RailCats is the UK student chapter of the American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association. The organization serves to promote and educate student about the railroad industry. Activities include regular field trips and site visits, speakers and social events. RailCats was founded within the Civil Engineering Department, but is open to all engineering students that what to learn more about opportunities in the railroad industry.
- Society of Automotive Engineers
Formula Kentucky is a group of dedicated students who design, engineer and fabricate a small formula style race car. The team is a great way to learn about project management and practical applications of engineering knowledge.
- The Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) is an organization that spans the globe and now includes more than 65,000 members, with more than 240 student chapters. Founded in 1932, the SME continues its mission in serving its members and the international manufacturing community through further advancement in knowledge and professionalism.
- UK Solar Car Team
- The UK Solar Car Team’s mission is to finance, design, build and race solar cars. Drawing students from all disciplines, the collaboration and investigation experienced as a team member is priceless. Aside from the cars, we reach out the community by showcasing our work and technology.
- Society of Automotive Engineers – Paducah
- Mini Baja® consists of three regional competitions that simulate real-world engineering design projects and their related challenges. Engineering students are tasked to design and build an off-road vehicle that will survive the severe punishment of rough terrain and in the East competition—water.
- SWE – Society of Women Engineers
- The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) is a non-profit, educational service organization with the following mission:To stimulate women to achieve full potential in careers as engineers and leaders, to expand the image of the engineering profession as a positive force in improving the quality of life, and to demonstrate the value of diversity.The objectives of the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) are:* To inform young women, their parents, counselors, and the general public of the qualifications and achievements of women engineers and the opportunities open to them;* To serve as a center of information on women in engineering;* To encourage women engineers to attain high levels of education and professional achievement.
- Tau Beta Pi
- # Tau Beta Pi is the only engineering honors society representing the entire engineering profession.# It is the nation’s second-oldest honor society, founded at Lehigh University in 1885 to recognize students of distinguished scholarship and exemplary character.# There are now 234 collegiate chapters of Tau Beta Pi, which have initiated over 500,876 members