Chemical Engineering Students Attend Annual AIChE Student Conference
December 11, 2018
The UK students represented the AIChE student chapters for the chemical engineering programs in Lexington and at the College of Engineering Extended Campus in Paducah.
Last month, 49 chemical engineering undergraduates traveled to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to attend the national student conference of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE). The student conference was held October 27-30, in conjunction with the AIChE Annual Meeting. The UK students represented the AIChE student chapters for the chemical engineering programs in Lexington and at the College of Engineering Extended Campus in Paducah.
At the conference, the UK-AIChE chapters and participating students received numerous honors and awards, including:
- Outstanding Student Chapter Award for the Lexington Chapter. The AIChE Outstanding Student Chapter Award is presented to 10% of all student chapters nationally. This year’s award was the 33rd such award for the UK Lexington Student Chapter over the last 35 years.
- Outstanding Student Chapter Award for the Paducah Chapter. The Paducah chapter won this award for the 17th consecutive year. The Paducah chapter has received this award every year since its founding.
- A student design team from the Lexington AIChE chapter was presented the William Cunningham Award (first prize) in the team category for the AIChE 2018 Student Design Competition.
In addition, 12 UK students participated in the AIChE undergraduate research student poster competition. From Lexington: Jacob Blake, Rachel Boone, Phillip Johnson, Matthew Morse, Thomas Ostertag, Sofia Gonzalez Schuler, Benjamin Stacy, and Ronald Vogler. From Paducah: Shelby Browning, Mercedes Haley, Lauren McManus and Rana Turkmani.
Four of the students received poster awards:
- Environmental Division: Phillip Johnson (1st place award); Sofia Gonzalez Schuler (1st place award)
- Food, Pharmaceutical, and Biotechnology Division: Matthew Morse (3rd place award)
- Materials Engineering and Sciences Division: Jacob Blake (2nd place award)
Faculty advisors for the AIChE student chapters are Prof. J. Zach Hilt (Lexington) and Prof. Derek Englert (Paducah).