fbpx Civil Engineering Optional Concentration | University of Kentucky College of Engineering

Civil Engineering Optional Concentration

The Department of Civil Engineering awards the Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering. This is the only designation that will appear on the student’s official transcript and diploma; however, the elective courses in the undergraduate curriculum enable each student to gain increased depth in a specialty area of interest.

Each student, working with their academic advisor (or faculty mentor), is urged to choose the electives that best satisfy his or her individual requirements.

The table below shows the recommended courses, and the student should not read these as required.

2023-2024 Optional Concentration

Interest Area ENGR Science Electives Math/Science/Tech Electives Design Electives Technical Electives
Construction Engineering and Project Management EM 313 MA 322 CE 508 (Fall) course based on student's intended career CE 509 (Fall)
Environmental/ Water Quality Engineering ME 220 CHE 236 CE 559 (Fall)
CE 519 (Spring)
CE 549 (Spring)
Geotechnical Engineering EM 313 EES 560 CE 579 (Spring)
CE 589 (Spring)
CE 571
Hydraulic Engineering ME 313 MA 321
MA322 or EM 313
CE 549 (Spring)
CE 559 (Fall)
CE 541(Fall)
Structural Engineering EM 313 CE 587 (Fall) CE 579 (Spring)
CE 589 (Spring)
CE 586 (Fall)
Surveying EM 313 GEO 409G or CE 525 (Spring) CE 531 (Fall) and other design elective of student's interest CE 517 (Spring)
Sustainability Engineering ME 220 MAT 322 CE 519 (Spring) and other design elective of student's interest Any CE elective of student's interest
Transportation Engineering EM 313 MA 321
EE 305
CE 517
CE 525
CE 581
CE 531 or CE 533
CE 534
CE 539 or other CE elective of student's interest
Water Resources Engineering ME 220 MA 321
MAT 322 or CE 568
CE 549 (Spring)
CE 519 (Spring)
CE 542 (Spring) or CE 547 (Fall)

Statistics Elective: STA 381