2003 – Present: Raymond Blythe Endowed Professor of Civil Engineering
2018 – 2020: Executive Director of the Tracy Farmer Institute for Sustainability and the Environment
2011 – 2022: Director Kentucky Center of Excellence for Watershed Management
2010 – 2020: Associate Director, UK Superfund Basic Research Program
2005 – 2020: Director, Research Translation Core, UK Superfund Basic Research Program
2004 – 2022: Director, Kentucky Water Resources Research Institute
2003 – 2009: Director. Kentucky Research Consortium for Energy and the Environment
2001 – 2002: Director, Tracy Farmer Center for the Environment
1999 – 2004: Kentucky River Basin Coordinator
1999 – 2001: Associate Director, Kentucky Water Resources Research Institute
1998 – 1999: Acting Director, Kentucky Water Resources Research Institute
1997 – 1998: Visiting Researcher – Kentucky Environmental Protection Agency
1996 – 2003: Full Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Kentucky
1995 – 1996: Associate Director, Kentucky Water Resources Research Institute
1989 – 1996: Associate Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Kentucky
1983 – 1989: Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Kentucky
1979 – 1981: Project Engineer, Howard K. Bell Consulting Engineers
Purdue University, Ph.D., 1983, Civil Engineering
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, M.S., 1979, Civil Engineering
University of Kentucky, B.S.C.E., 1978, Civil Engineering
- Sharma, A., Dongre, S., Gupta, R., and Ormsbee, L. (2022), “Multiphase Procedure for District Metered Areas Identification in Water Distribution Networks Using Community Detection, NSGA-III Optimization and Multiple Attribute Decision Making, ASCE Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0001586
- Lingireddy, S., Ormsbee, L., and Kamojjala, S., (2022) “How Slow is Slow? Managing fire hydrant operation for protecting water infrastructure,” AWWA Water Science.doi.org/10.1002/aws2.1290
- Francisco, L., Vogler, R., Sandman, P., Harris, N., Ormsbee, L., Liu, C., Bhattacharrya, D. (2022) "Dual-Functional Nanofiltration and Adsorptive Membranes for PFAS and Organics Separation from Water", American Chemical Society Journal, 2(5), 863-872, doi.org/10.1021/acsestwater.2c00043 .
- Ormsbee, L., Hoagland, S., Hernandez. E., Hall, A., Ostfeld, A. (2022). “Hydraulic Model Database for Applied Water Distribution Systems Research, ASCE Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0001559
- Hernandez, E., and Ormsbee, L., (2021) “A Heuristic for Strategic Valve Placement”, ASCE Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 147(12) doi.org/10.1061 (ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0001497.
- Hernandez, E., and Ormsbee, L., (2021) “Segment Identification Procedure for Water Distribution Systems, ASCE Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management,147(5) doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0001363.
- Hernandez, E., and Ormsbee, L., (2021) “Segment Based Assessment of the Consequences of Failure on Water Distribution Systems, ASCE Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 147(4), doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0001340.
- Walski, T., Grayman, W., Ormsbee, L., (2020) "Water Distribution System Modeling: Past and Present," Journal. AWWA, doi.org/10.1002/awwa.1572
- Ormsbee, L., Hoagland, S., Peterson, K., (2020) “Limitations of TR-55 Curve Numbers for Urban Development Applications: Critical Review and Potential Strategies for Moving Forward,’ ASCE Journal of Hydrologic Engineering,” https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HE.1943-5584.0001885.
- Saad A, Mills R, Wan H, Ormsbee LE, Bhattacharyya D. (2020). Thermo-responsive PNIPAm-PMMA functionalized PVDF membranes with reactive Fe-Pd nanoparticles for PCB degradation. Ind Engineering Chem Res 59(38):16614-16625. doi:10.1021/acs.iecr.0c03260.
- Wan H, Islam MS, Qian D, Ormsbee LE, Bhattacharyya D. (2020). Reductive degradation of CCl4 by sulfizied Fe and Pd-Fe nanoparticles: Kinetics, longevity, and morphology aspects. Chemical Engineering Journal. 394:125013, doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2020.125013 NIHMSID: 158320711.
- Aher A, Nickerson T, Jordan C, Thorpe F, Hatakeyama E, Ormsbee LE, Majumder M, Bhattacharyya D. (2020) Ion and organic transport in graphene oxide membranes: Model development to difficult water remediation applications. J. Mem. Sci. 2020 604:118024. doi:10.1016/j.memsci.2020.118024 NIHMSID: 1575224
- Saad, A., Mills, R., Wan, H., Mottaleb, M. A., Ormsbee, L., and Bhattacharyya, D. (2020) “Thermo-responsive adsorption-desorption of perfluoroorganics from water using PNIPAm hydrogels and pore functionalized membranes”. Journal of Membrane Science, 2020, Article number 117821, doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2020.117821 PMCID: PMC70396517.
- Aher A, Thompson S, Nickerson T, Ormsbee L, Bhattacharyya D. (2020) Reduced graphene oxide-metal nanoparticle composite membranes for environmental separation and chloro-organic remediation. RSC advances. 2019;9(66):38547-38557. PubMed PMID: 32095233; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7039523; DOI: 10.1039/c9ra08178j.
- Wan H, Islam S, Briot N, Schnobrich M, Pacholik L, Ormsbee LE, Bhattacharyya D.(2020). Pd/Fe nanoparticle integrated PMAA-PVDF membranes for chloro-organic remediation from synthetic and site groundwater. J Memb Sci 594: doi:10.1016/j.memsci.2019.117454 PMID:31929677
- Hoover, AG, Koempel, A, Christian WJ, Tumlin, KI, Pennell, K.G., Evans, S., McAlister, M., Ormsbee, L.O., and Brewer, D. (2020). Appalachian environmental health literacy: building knowledge and skills to protect health. Journal of Appalachian Health, 2(1), 47-53. DOI: https//doi.org/10.13023/jah.0201.06
- Brewer D, Travis E, Koempel A, Ormsbee L, Pennell K. (2020) Community Forum Identifies Opportunities to Engage with Eastern Kentucky Community Leaders about Chronic Disease and Environmental Pollution. Applied environmental education and communication. 2020;19(2):187-204. PubMed PMID: 32973411; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7510481; DOI: 10.1080/1533015X.2019.1597660.
- Rathi, S., Gupta, R., Palod, N., Ormsbee, L., (2019) “Minimizing the Variance of Flow Series using Genetic Algorithms for Reliability based design of Looped Water Distribution Networks,” Engineering Optimization. doi.org/10.1080/0305215X.2019.1598984
The purpose of my laboratory is to develop sustainable solutions for water and wastewater infrastructure by integrating engineering and systems analysis with stakeholder engagement. Our current focus is on helping struggling systems in communities in the Appalachian regions of eastern Kentucky, West Virginia, and eastern Tennessee.
Significant Research Accomplishments
- Co-developer of KYPIPE software for water distribution analysis
- Co-developer of functionalized membrane technology for water treatment
- Developer of Kentucky Nutrient Model
- Developer of integrated stakeholder engagement methodology for environmental management
- Developer of water distribution modeling research database for use by international research community
- Developer of rainfall disaggregation model incorporated into the Stormwater Management Model (SWMM)
- Developer of nonlinear optimization protocol for integration of simulation programs
Mathematical Modeling of Hydraulic and Hydrologic Systems
Functionalized Membranes for Water Treatment
Water Distribution System Modeling
Water Supply Planning
Operations Research/Systems Analysis