Networking and Recruiting Events
VIRTUAL: College of Engineering Co-op and Internship Fair, Thursday, March 26, 10 am to 1 pm
COVID-19 (coronavirus) has significantly disrupted multiple events including the Spring 2020 Co-op and Internship Fair. Our partners at Career Fair Plus (our career fair app providers) have a capability that will allow us to conduct the fair virtually so that you and recruiters can interact without the need of physical presence at the career fair.
How it works:
- We will create 1 schedule per recruiter (and possibly more than one recruiter/schedule per company) in Career Fair Plus. The schedules will start Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 10 am and end March 26, 2020 at 1 pm with 10 minute time slots.
- Students will pick a time slot through Career Fair Plus and book an appointment with a recruiter starting at noon on Friday, March 20, 2020. The sign up period ends about 1 hour before the start of the fair, March 26, 2020 at 9 am.
- In the Career Fair Plus app, employers with schedules will be designated with a blue Skip The Line badge.
- The recruiter will call the student at the beginning of the time slot and conduct the appointment over the phone – so please make sure that the phone number you list in your account registration is the phone number that you will receive the call on.
- Students will create profiles in the Career Fair Plus app (Android and iOS) as part of signing up for timeslots.
- Your profile must include a few items: (1) your phone number, (2) your UK email and (3) a pdf resume (accessible from your mobile device). You may create your own password. Any additional profile information is not required, but could be shared with the recruiter.
- You do not have to wait until Friday, March 20, 2020 to create your account – you can start it now. After opening the Career Fair Plus app, choose “Skip the Line” at the bottom of the screen to create your account.
- You can sign up for multiple slots with many companies, but you cannot sign up for back to back time-slots, so you will always have a minimum 10 minute break between scheduled times.
- Recruiters will download Career Fair Plus and sign in to see their schedules. Through the app, recruiters can see each student, their profile and resume that has booked on the recruiter’s schedule.
All Engineering Fairs will be using the "Career Fair Plus App," which will allow you to research employers in attendance ahead of time. A fair map will go live a few days before the fair and you can easily find your favorite companies on the map. Once you "favorite" them, they will show up on the map as soon as the map is live.
Employer-Partner Picnic on the Patio, Thursday, August 27, 2020
This event brings potential employers to campus for a welcome (-back) picnic for our students. Employers support the food purchase and get to mingle with students to play cornhole, other other yard games and discuss career aspirations or the job prospects in different majors.
College of Engineering Career Connections, September 11, 2020
Employer representatives volunteer their time to review resumes, conduct practice interviews, or critique LinkedIn profiles in one on one meetings with students. This is excellent preparation for the career fair, and a way to network with potential employers in a casual setting. Sign ups for this event will go live in August 2020.
Engineering and Computer Science Career Fair, September 22, 2020, noon to 4 pm
The largest recruiting event at UK attracts roughly 150 employers and 1,100 students who can network to find co-op, intern, or full-time positions. Many employers stay over to conduct one on one interviews the next day. You can research employers using our event app, Career Fair + starting four weeks before the fair. A few days before the fair, you will also be able to access to fair map to quickly find your favorite employers.
Career Fair Prep Events
Engineering Resume Review/Interview Drop-ins - every Tuesday 1-4 pm and Wednesday 2-5 pm
Drop-ins meetings last 10-15 minutes and are designed to help with your resume, letter writing, interviewing or searching for a job or internship opportunity. During the semester, you can stop by every Tuesday from 1:00-4:00 pm & Wednesday 2:00-5:00 pm in the Career Development offices in the James & Gay Hardymon Center for Student Success, third-floor FPAT. We are also available for appointments, which you can schedule via Handshake.
Career Fair Prep Seminars
To prepare for the fall career events, you should attend one of our 45 minute career fair prep seminars. The times and location will be published in August.
Career Fair VIP Program
Our VIP program allows you to enter the Spring and Fall Engineering and Computer Science Career Fairs (not the co-op and internship fair) 30 minutes before everyone else (i.e. at 11:30 am). In order to become a VIP, you must complete the following requirements:
- Log in and activate your handshake account
- Attend a 45-minute career fair prep seminar (dates and times listed above)
- Have an on-campus career professional review and critique your resume (you can make an appointment through handshake, or stop by during drop in hours - in engineering, these are Tue 1-4 pm and Wed. 2-5 pm)
- Choose 4 of the following:
- Participate in the Career Connections event
- Download the Career Fair + App
- Create or Update your LinkedIn profile
- Like us on facebook.com/ukyengrcareer
- Follow us on Twitter: @UKEngCareers
- Complete a practice interview on InterviewStream (accessible through Handshake)
- Follow us on Instragram: @ukyengrcareer