Research Areas: Sustainability, Green Engineering, Biofuels, Computer Aided Process Engineering,
Process Design, Process Safety
University of Kentucky, College of Engineering
Extended Campus Programs – Paducah
4810 Alben Barkley Drive
P.O. Box 7380
Paducah, KY 42002-7380
Email: Contact me
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Auburn University
M.S., Chemical Engineering, University of South Alabama
B.S., Auburn University
2008 – Present Assistant Professor Dept. of Chem. and Matl. Eng., University of Kentucky
2002 – 2006 Sr. Process Engineer Evonik Degussa Corporation, Mobile, Alabama
2000 – 2002 Process Engineer CDI Engineering Group, Mobile, Alabama
1996 – 2000 Process Engineer B E&K Engineering, Mobile, Alabama
- Ramsey, A, S. Sukumara and J. Seay (2010): “Developing Technoeconomic Models for Estimating Regional Biorefining Potential Using Process Simulation”, Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Sustainable Product and Process Engineering, CD-Volume.
- Jernigan, R.J., Hansrote, S.A., Ramey, K., Richardson, L.E. and Seay, J.R. (2009): “Developing Sustainable Chemical Processes to Utilize Waste Crude Glycerol from Biodiesel Production”, Design for Energy and the Environment, Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on the Foundations of Computer-Aided Process Design, CRC Press, New York, New York, pp. 361 –370.
- Seay J.R., Werhan H., Eden M.R., D’Alessandro R.N., Thomas T., Redlingshoefer H., Weckbecker C., Huthmacher K. (2008): Integrating Laboratory Experiments with Process Simulation for Reactor Optimization”, Computer Aided Chemical Engineering, 25, Paper 168 (CD Volume).
- Seay J.R., Eden M.R., D’Alessandro R.N., Thomas T., Redlingshoefer H., Weckbecker C., Huthmacher K. (2007): “Integration of Process Modeling with Laboratory Experiments in Conceptual Design: Bio-based Glycerol Dehydration Case Study”, Computer Aided Chemical Engineering, 24, pp. 485-490.
- Seay J.R., Eden M.R., D’Alessandro R.N., Weckbecker C. (2006): “Sustainable Production of Industrial Chemical Products from Bioresources”, Computer Aided Chemical Engineering ,21A, pp. 961-966.
- Seay, J.R. and Eden, M.R. (2009): “Incorporating Sustainability and Environmental Impact Assessment into Capstone Design Projects”, Design for Energy and the Environment, Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on the Foundations of Computer-Aided Process Design, CRC Press, New York, New York, pp. 689-698.
- Seay J.R., Eden M.R. (2009): “Incorporating Environmental Impact Assessment into Conceptual Process Design”, Journal of Environmental Progress and Sustainable Energy, 28(1), pp. 30-37.
- Seay J.R., Eden M.R. (2008): “Incorporating Risk Assessment and Inherently Safer Design Practices into Chemical Engineering Education”, Chemical Engineering Education, 42(3), pp. 141-146.
- Seay J.R., Eden M.R. (2007): “Sustainable Engineering in Capstone Design Projects through Industrial Collaboration”, Proc. of 1st Intl. Symp. on Sustainable Chem. Prod. and Proc. Eng.
- Seay J.R., Eden M.R. (2008): “Challenges of Implementing A Joint Industrial – Academic Research Project as Part of a Non-Traditional Industrial Ph.D. Dissertation”, Chem. Eng
Currently working on collaborative research projects with the Institute for Sustainable Manufacturing and the Consortium for Fossil Fuel Science in the areas of biomass utilization, supply chain optimization and life cycle analysis. Additionally, collaborative educational projects with the AIChE Sustainable Engineering Forum to developing educational modules to incorporate sustainability into core chemical engineering courses is ongoing. Finally, a collaborative effort is underway with 4-H groups in western Kentucky to develop a demonstration scale biodiesel plant for educational and research purposes.
Collaborators and Other Affiliations
- Robert D’Alessandro Evonik Industries
- Mario Eden Auburn University
- Klaus Huthmacher Evonik Industries
- Robert Jernigan Auburn University
- David Silverstein Univ. of Kentucky
- Jimmy Smart Univ. of Kentucky
- Hubert Redlingshoefer Evonik Industries
- Thomas Thomas Univ. of South Al.
- Christoph Weckbecker Evonik Industries
- Holger Werhan Univ. of Stuttgart
- Robert Hesketh Rowan University
- Fazleena Badurdeen Univ. of Kentucky
- Graduate Advisors
- Mario R. Eden, Ph.D. PhD Thesis Advisor Auburn University
- Christopher Roberts, Ph.D PhD Thesis Committee Member Auburn Univeristy
- Jin Wang, Ph.D PhD Thesis Committee Member Auburn Univeristy
- Thomas Thomas, Ph.D PhD Thesis Committee Member University of South Alabama
- Robert D’Alessandro PhD Thesis Committee Member Evonik Industries
- Nicholas Sylvester Master’s Thesis Advisor University of South Alabama
- Jagdish Dhawan, Ph.D Master’s Thesis Committee Member University of South Alabama
- Ted Huddleston, Ph.D Master’s Thesis Committee Member Deceased
- Helmut Wendeler, Ph.D Master’s Thesis Committee Member Evonik Industries
- Andreas Sabbagh, Ph.D Master’s Thesis Committee Member Evonik Industries
- Guida Bendrich, Ph.D Master’s Thesis Committee Member University of New Brunswick