(Posted - September 14, 2014)
The 4th International Forum on Sustainable Manufacturing was successfully held at the University of Kentucky on September 12, 2014, with 114 total participants, including 77 from industry. Cutting-edge research initiatives to address major sustainable manufacturing challenges at the product, process, system and supply chain levels were presented by internationally recognized academic researchers and industry leaders. Professor Fazleena Badurdeen, ISM Faculty serving as the Forum Chair, along with her two co-chairs, Professors J. Seay and Haluk Karaca, both ISM Faculty Affiliates, organized and hosted this year’s Forum.
A special feature at this year’s event was a national-level panel discussion with the leaders of three Institutes for Manufacturing Innovation (IMI) on the role of IMI’s in promoting sustainable manufacturing. Dr. Dean Bartles (Executive Director, DMDI- Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute), Dr. Alan Taub (Chief Technology Officer, ALMMII – American Lightweight Materials Manufacturing Innovation Institute) and Ed Morris (Director, America Makes – Additive Manufacturing Innovation Institute).
Also unique to this year’s event was ‘Emerging Researcher Presentations’, funded through a grant by the National Science Foundation (NSF). Leading tenure-track Assistant Professors and Post-doctoral researchers, who are engaged in research in sustainable manufacturing and related areas from across the country, were provided travel support through the NSF grant to attend and share their work at the Forum.
Forum also included a research poster competition which helped provide exposure to even more research carried out in sustainable manufacturing across the United States.
It's an exciting time to be in manufacturing - there is increasing emphasis on re-making manufacturing in the United States to make it a globally competitive force in advanced and more sustainable manufacturing. Sustainable manufacturing is about making more sustainable products as well as using more sustainable processes, systems and supply chains to make those products.
The 4th International Forum on Sustainable Manufacturing will present:
- Recent research advances in sustainable manufacturing at the product, process and systems (including supply chain) levels as well as,
- Cutting-edge practices used by industry leaders to address sustainable manufacturing issues.
In addition to above, special features this year:
- A national-level gathering of the top leadership of all three institutes in the DoD-led Institutes for Manufacturing Innovation (IMI) in a panel discussion. Do not miss this rare opportunity to learn how the IMIs plan to help promote sustainable manufacturing!!
- Panelists include:
- Dr. Dean Bartles, Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute (DMDI)
- Ed Morris, America Makes National Additive Manufacturing Innovation Institute
- Dr. Alan Taub, American Lightweight Materials Manufacturing Innovation Institute (ALMMII)
- Panelists include:
- Emerging researcher presentations: a series of presentations by leading young researchers working in sustainable manufacturing.