Live at the core of innovation
See yourself in blue
Now in its second century of existence, the UK College of Engineering is the top-ranked engineering program in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. With our small class sizes and wide-ranging opportunities for student involvement and leadership, we are poised to help you begin a future in engineering. As a student at the University of Kentucky, you will have all of the advantages that come with being a student in a flagship state institution, yet within the intimate environment of the College of Engineering.
Our faculty-to-student ratio is 1:18, giving you unparalleled opportunities to interact with faculty and participate in research, even as an undergraduate student. You’ll be more than just a number – you’ll be a valuable part of the student body.
The college’s nationally and internationally recognized faculty bring their expertise into your classrooms and labs. They are genuinely interested in helping you succeed at UK and beyond.
Don’t be just a number! Our program lets you dive in and start lab work immediately, rather than make you wait until your junior or senior year. You’ll be able to jump right into serious research in places like the Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments (Vis Center), KySat satellite project, the UK Solar Car Team, 3-D scanning research and numerous summer programs.
Contact us today!
Contact a College of Engineering recruiter here.
Students interested in pursuing an undergraduate degree in the College of Engineering must complete the application from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
A separate application for the College of Engineering is not necessary.
Any student with questions regarding admission to the College of Engineering at UK can get input by contacting the Director of Student Services at 859-257-1021 or the Associate Dean for Administration and Academic Affairs at 859-257-8827 or 859-257-1864.
Freshman applicants must submit the following:
- Either: UK Application for Undergraduate Admission or Common Application
- Test Scores: Official results for either the ACT (American College Testing) or the SAT I (Scholastic Assessment Test) are required. Arrangements to take either test may be made through your high school counselor’s office. Indicate to the testing service that an official score report should be sent to the University of Kentucky (ACT School Code -1554; SAT School Code – 1837). Student copies, high school report copies, or scores from high school transcripts will not be accepted.
- Transcripts: Attach an official high school transcript to the application. This transcript should reflect grades through at least six semesters of high school work. If you are a high school graduate, submit a complete official transcript including the date of graduation.
- Academic Letter of Recommendation: All freshmen applicants must submit an academic letter of recommendation from a teacher or guidance counselor. The recommender can submit this electronically or can download a PDF version, complete it, and mail it to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
- Non-Refundable Application Processing Fee: Attach $50 in cash, check, or money order made payable to the University of Kentucky. Full-time UK employees applying to take classes and who submit a copy of their UK staff card are not required to pay the processing fee.
Engineering Entry Requirements
Minimum freshman entry requirements are an ACT math score of 23 or higher or a SAT math score of 540 or higher. Additionally, students must meet the minimum University of Kentucky Reading and Writing ACT/SAT requirements to be admitted to the College of Engineering. Those requirements can be viewed at http://www.uky.edu/AE/placement-testing.
Preparation sequence for Calculus I:
- ACT math score of 27 or higher or SAT math score of 620 or higher should enroll in MA 113, Calculus I
- ACT math score of 23-26 or SAT math score of 540-610 should enroll in MA 110, Algebra and Trigonometry for Calculus and Trigonometry. The College of Engineering requires at least a C in this 4-hour course before enrolling in MA 113.
NOTE: A Mathematics Department Placement Exam will be required of all entering students desiring to take math courses. The exam score will guide the selection of a proper math course for the student. Students entering with an ACT Math subscore of 30 or above (or SAT Math subscore of 680 or above) are NOT required to take this placement exam.
Students not meeting the admission requirement, but still interested in pursuing an engineering degree, may register at UK in Undergraduate Studies (in Miller Hall) and may enroll in freshman level engineering classes. Once students are prepared to begin major courses (which include appropriate physical sciences, math, statistics, drafting, and computer courses), they may enter the College of Engineering.
Students may also consider taking preparatory coursework at many of the other colleges and universities offering math and science courses in Kentucky prior to seeking admission to the College of Engineering. Transfer students who have completed the freshmen courses should apply directly to their department of choice.
- Fall: February 15
- Spring: October 15
- Summer I: February 15
- Summer II: February 15