Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40506
Office: 691 F Paul Anderson Tower
Dr. Yuan Liao is currently an
associate professor at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at
the University of Kentucky. Dr. Yuan Liao obtained his Ph.D. in Electrical
Protective relaying; Power quality monitoring and analysis; Power system economics and optimization; Applications of signal processing and intelligent techniques; Energy management system; Renewable energy.
Specifically, we are interested in the following areas:
- Fault location: locating faults in transmission and distribution systems utilizing voltage and current measurements;
- Protective relaying: developing real-time algorithms and systems for protecting power generation, transmission and distribution systems.
- Power quality monitoring and analysis: designing automated system for classifying and analyzing power quality events;
- Power system economics and optimization: developing algorithms for solving large scale generation resource scheduling optimization problems, and modeling and simulating power markets;
- Renewable energy integration: studying issues related to integration of renewable energy into the grid;
- Smart grid: investigating advanced algorithms and systems for monitoring, protection, and control of future power grid;
- Intelligent techniques: applying fuzzy logic, neural network, and genetic algorithms for solving power system problems.
EE 537 Electric Power System Analysis I
EE 415 Electric Machines
EE 599/699 Electric Power System Generation, Operation and Control
EE 599/699 Electric Power System Fault Analysis and Protection
EE 699 Power System Analysis Using Advanced Software
Teaching Assistantship positions are available through Power and Energy Institute of Kentucky (http://www.engr.uky.edu/power/) for Ph.D. students interested in power area. For more information, contact Yuan Liao at email@example.com.