The WIE Peer Mentoring Program is a unique opportunity for women in their first year at the UK College of Engineering (COE) who are not already assigned a peer mentor through the Engineering Residential College LLP. This program enables women to connect with an upper-level mentor and fellow mentees during their first year on campus. Mentors and mentees in this program will meet regularly for group activities, study sessions, to network with guest speakers, and to participate in fun activities on campus and around Lexington. Programs like this allow students outside the LLP to form a supportive community, which research shows can lead to significantly higher retention, better grades, and greater student satisfaction.
WIE Mentoring Commitment
We ask that students commit to bi-weekly communication and to regularly attend meetings with their mentoring groups. Those who participate in this program during their first year qualify for the Alumni Mentoring Program (AMP) starting their second year in the UK COE. Students must participate in an engineering mentoring program during their freshman year in order to be matched to an alumni mentor (industry professional) starting sophomore year through graduation.
- Build relationships with fellow female future engineers
- Network with industry professionals at bi-semester speaking events
- Learn from successful upper-level students
- Develop resumes that attract employers
- Gain information about various social events throughout the year
- Improve retention and academic performance
- Have fun and make lifelong friends
To participate in the WIE Peer Mentoring Program, please complete your online mentee profile.
Students are strongly encouraged to apply prior to our Mentoring Program Kick-off on September 8, 2016, where you will meet your mentor and other students in your group.
*We will still accept applications on a rolling basis prior to January 31, 2017 on a case-by-case basis.
For more information, contact
Micaha Dean, Director of Women’s Programs
2016-17 WIE Peer Mentoring Whole Group Events
- Guest Speaker #2: Dr. Kim Anderson, Chemical Engineer, Wednesday, November 30th 4:00-5:00pm in the Robotics & Manufacturing Building room 323. Snacks, coffee & water will be available to all who attend.
- Dead Week Movie Night: On Wednesday, December 7th, 5pm – 10pm (come as you can), location RGAN 387, pizza will be provided!
- Welcome Back Breakfast: On Wednesday, January 11th, 9am – 11am, RGAN 387 (come as you can), coffee and donuts will be provided!
- Guest Speaker #3: TBD, a meal will be provided
- Guest Speaker #4: TBD, a meal will be provided
- Dead Week Movie Night: On Wednesday, April 26th, 5pm – 10pm (come as you can), location TBD, pizza will be provided!