The University of Kentucky Solar Car team is an independent, student-led organization that operates on the campus of the University of Kentucky in Lexington, KY through the College of Engineering. The team was formed in 1999 – nearly 16 years ago, and is one the largest, thriving, student engineering organizations on campus. With a large and active student body, the team works during the school year to design and construct solar vehicles which are used in STEM outreach and to compete in national competitions which include the Formula Sun Grand Prix, and the American Solar Challenge.
We strive to better ourselves as professional engineers through designing and fabricating solar powered vehicles while sharing our enthusiasm in STEM outreach.
The UK Solar Car Team is always looking for new members!
- Students: All majors are invited to join. No prior experience is necessary.
- Faculty advisers: Please come share your expertise!
How to join:
The University of Kentucky Solar Team accepts all interested members. Regardless of major, there are always plenty of tasks and projects that need to be completed. If you’re interested:
- Send an e-mail to email@example.com
- Attend one of our weekly Team Meetings in the DV Terrell Building
Normal Meeting times: 6:30PM Mondays, 10:00AM Saturdays in the back of the DV Terrel Bldg, behind Funkhouser. Help me find the garage!
- Designs and builds the aerodynamic shell, the chassis, and the vehicle’s suspension.
- Coordinates the driver controls (steering, braking, acceleration).
- Integrates the solar array, maximum power point trackers, batteries, and motor controller.
- Enables the solar car to communicate with itself and to the team via the telemetry system.
- Finds donors that make funding the team possible
- Plans outreach events that we take the car to.
- Updates all social media.