Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering: 1990 Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia
M.S. in Electrical Engineering, 1986 Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia
B.S. in Electrical Engineering, 1980 University of Kentucky
Employment at University of Kentucky
Associate Professor, Fall 1996 to present Associate Chair, ECE, Fall 2011 to present
Director of Undergraduate Studies, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, July 2006 to present.
Director of Graduate Studies, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, July 2000 to June, 2004.
Assistant Professor: Fall 1990 – Spring 1996
Other Related Experience:
Academic Visitor, IBM Austin Research Laboratory, Austin, Texas, Fall 1999 – Spring 2000.
NASA/ASEE Summer Faculty Fellow, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, Virginia, Summer 1991 and Summer 1992
RF Design Engineer, Harris Corporation, Melbourne, Florida, 1981-1984.
Principle Publications (last 5 years):
- Smith, S.W., K.E. Rouch, W.T. Smith and J.D. Jacob, “Multi-University and Industrial Collaboration for Research-Oriented Capstone Experience,” National Capstone Design Conference – 2007, Boulder, CO, June 13-15, 2007
- Jacob, J.D., J.E. Lumpp, Jr., S.W. Smith and W.T. Smith, “Multidisciplinary Design Experience of a High Altitude Inflatable Wing UAV for Aerospace Workforce Development,” AIAA-2006- 0093, 44th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, Nevada, January 9-12, 2006
- Smith, S.W., J. Jacob, J. Lumpp, and W. Smith, “Aerospace Workforce Development Through a Multidisciplinary Student Demonstration of Autonomous Mars Airplane Technology,” AIAA- 2005-6983, AIAA Infotech@Aerospace Conference, Arlington, Virginia, September 26-29, 2005
- Chandler, G.D., Jackson, D.K., Groves, A.W., Rawashdeh, O.A., Rawashdeh, N.A., Smith, W.T., Jacob, J.D., and Lumpp, Jr., J.E., “A Low-Cost Mission Controller for a High-Altitude UAV,” IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT. March 6-10, 2005 2
- Simpson A., O. Rawashdeh, J.D. Jacob, J.E. Lumpp, W.T. Smith and S.W. Smith, “BIG BLUE II: Mars Aircraft Prototype with Inflatable -Rigidizable Wings” AIAA-2005-0813, AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno, NV, Jan 10-13, 2005
- Schaum’s Easy Outlines: Electronic Devices and Circuits, Jimmie Cathey, author; William T. Smith, abridgement editor, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2006.
- Schaum’s Easy Outlines: Electric Circuits, Mahmood Nahvi, Joseph Edminister, authors; William T. Smith, abridgement editor; McGraw-Hill, New York, 2004.