B.E., Chemical Engineering, Annamalai University, India, 1991
M.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, 1995
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, 1999
Assistant Professor, Center for Biomedical Engineering, University of Kentucky, 2009-present
Research Associate, Center for Neural Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 2006-2009
Research Assistant Professor, Center for Neural Dynamics, George Mason University, 2005-2006
R & D Engineer, Flint Hills Scientific, LLC, Lawrence, KS, 1999-2005
Five Salient Papers
- Sunderam S, Talathi SS, Lyubushin A, Sornette D, Osorio I (2011). Challenges for emerging neurostimulation-based therapies for real-time seizure control. Epilepsy and Behavior, 22(1):118-25.
- Osorio I, Manly B, Sunderam S (2010). Toward a quantitative multivariate analysis of the efficacy of antiseizure therapies. Epilepsy and Behavior, 18(4):335-343.
- Sunderam S, Chernyy N, Peixoto N, Mason JP, Weinstein SL, Schiff SJ, Gluckman BJ (2009). Seizure entrainment with polarizing low frequency electric fields in a chronic animal epilepsy model. J Neural Eng, 6(4):046009.
- Sunderam S, Chernyy N, Peixoto N, Mason JP, Weinstein SL, Schiff SJ and Gluckman BJ (2007). Improved sleep-wake and behavior discrimination using MEMS accelerometers. J Neurosci Methods, 163: 373-83.
- Osorio I, Frei MG, Sunderam S, Giftakis J, Bhavaraju NC, Schaffner SF, Wilkinson SB (2005). Automated seizure abatement in humans using electrical stimulation. Annals of Neurology, 57:258-68.
Five Other Papers
- Cuaycong M, Engel M, Weinstein SL, Perlman JM, Salmon E, Sunderam S, Vannucci SJ (2011). A novel approach to the study of hypoxia-ischemia-induced clinical and subclinical seizures in the neonatal rat. Dev Neurosci, 33(3-4):241-50.
- SUNDERAM S. 2011. How to detect and quantify epileptic seizures. In Epilepsy: The intersection of neurosciences, biology, mathematics, physics and engineering, ed. I. Osorio, H. P. Zaveri, M. G. Frei, and S. Arthurs. CRC Press.
- Sunderam S, Gluckman BJ, Reato D, Bikson M (2010). Toward rational design of electrical stimulation strategies for epilepsy control. Review. Epilepsy and Behavior, 17(1):6-22.
- Sunderam S, Osorio I, Frei MG (2007). Epileptic seizures are temporally interdependent under certain conditions. Epilepsy Research, 76:77-84.
- Sunderam S, Osorio I, Watkins JF, Wilkinson SB, Frei MG and Davis RE (2001). Vagal and sciatic nerve stimulation have complex time-dependent effects on chemically induced seizures: a controlled study. Brain Research, 918(1-2): 60-66.