Research Areas: Continuum Mechanics, Coupled Thermoelasticity, Materials Science
University of Kentucky, College of Engineering
D.Eng. Sc., Engineering Mechanics, Columbia University
M.S.,Engineering Mechanics, Columbia University
B.S., University of Cincinnati, University of Cincinnati
1997 – present Professor Emeritus, Mechanical Engineering, University of Kentucky
2001 – 2002 Solid Mechanics Program Director, IPA assignment, NSF
1967 – 1997 Professor, Engineering Mechanics Department, University of Kentucky
1993 – 1996 Interim CMS Div. Director and Solid Mechanics Program Director, IPA assignment, NSF
1988 – 1990 Solid Mechanics Program Director, IPA assignment, NSF
1967-72, 1984-89, 1990 Dept. Chair, Engineering Mechanics Department, University of Kentucky
1965 – 1967 Associate Professor, Engineering Mechanics Department, University of Kentucky
1963 – 1965 Lecturer, Mechanical and Aerospace Department, Princeton University
1959 – 1963 Assistant Professor, Johns Hopkins University
- Pu, Z., Puleo, D.A., Dillon, O.W. (Jr.) and Jawahir, I.S., Controlling the biodegradation rate of magnesium-based implants through surface nanocrystallization induced by cryogenic machining, Proceeding of Magnesium Technology 2010, TMS Annual Meeting. Seattle, WA. February 14-18, 2010.
- M’Saoubi, R., J.C. Outeiro, H. Chandrasekaran, O.W. Dillon, Jr., and I.S. Jawahir, “A Review of Surface Integrity in Machining and Its Impact on Functional Performance and Life of Machined Products”, Int. J. Sustainable Manufacturing, Vol. 1(1-2), 2008, pp. 203-136.
- Umbrello, D., A.D. Jayal, S. Caruso, O.W. Dillon, Jr., and I.S. Jawahir, “Modeling of White and Dark Layers Formation in Orthogonal Machining of hardened AISI 52100 Steel”, Proc. 12th CIRP International Conf. on Modeling of Machining Operations, Vol. 2, San Sebastian, Spain, May 2009, pp. 655- 662.
- Ee, K.C., O.W. Dillon, Jr. and I.S. Jawahir, “Finite Element Modeling of Residual Stresses in Machining Induced by Cutting Tool with a Finite Edge Radius”, Int. J. Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 47, 2005, pp. 1611-1628.
- Wanigarathne, P.C., A.D. Kardekar, O. W. Dillon, Jr., G. Poulachon and I. S. Jawahir, “Progressive Tool-wear in Machining with Coated Grooved Tools and Its Correlation with Cutting Temperature”, Wear, Vol. 259, 2005, pp. 1215-1224.