Research Areas: Speech and signal processing, machine learning and bioacoustics.
University of Kentucky, College of Engineering
Electrical and Computer Engineering - ECE
PhD, Purdue University Electrical and Computer Engineering, August 2000
M.S. in Electrical Engineering, U. Texas at San Antonio, Dec. 1994
B.S. Engineering with EE Concentration, LeTourneau University, April 1990
B.S. Computer Science and Engineering, , LeTourneau University, April 1989
Professor and Chair, Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Kentucky. 2016-present
Full Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Marquette University. 2013 – 2016.
Director of Graduate Studies, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Marquette University. 2009 – 2012
Associate Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Marquette University. 2007 – 2009
Assistant Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Marquette University. 2000 – 2007
Principle Publications (last 5 years):
- Xu-Kui Yang, Liang He, Dan Qu, Wei-Qiang Zhang, Michael T Johnson, Semi-supervised feature selection for audio classification based on constraint compensated Laplacian score, EURASIP Journal on Audio, Speech, and Music Processing, 1, 2016, 1-10.
- Wei-Qiang Zhang, Cong Guo, Qiao Zhang, Jian Kang, Liang He, Jia Liu, and Michael T. Johnson， A Speech Enhancement Algorithm Based on Computational Auditory Scene Analysis. Journal of Tianjin University, in press, 2015.
(Chinese journal. Original language citation: 张卫强，郭璁，张乔，康健，何亮, 刘加，and Michael T. Johnson, 种基于计算听觉场景分析的语音增强算法, 天津大学学报.)
- B.T.W. Bochera, K. Cherukurib, J.S. Makib, M. Johnsonc, D.H. Zitomer, Relating methanogen community structure and anaerobic digester function, Water Research, 70 (1), March 2015, 425-435.
- PM Scheifele, MT Johnson, M Fry, B Hamel, K Laclede, Vocal classification of vocalizations of a pair of Asian Small-Clawed otters to determine stress, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 138 (1), EL105-EL109, 2015.
- Liu Wei-Wei,Cai Meng, Zhang·Wei-Qiang Zhang, Liu Jia, Johnson Michael T., “Discriminative Boosting Algorithm for Diversified Front-End Phonotactic Language Recognition,” Journal of Signal Processing Systems, May 2015.
- Trawicki, Marek B. and Johnson, Michael T., “Beta‐order minimum mean‐square error multichannel spectral amplitude estimation for speech enhancement”, International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing, January 2015.
- Arik Kershenbaum, Daniel Blumstein, Marie Roch, Michael T. Johnson, et. al., Acoustic sequences in non-human animals: a tutorial review and prospectus, Biological Reviews, 2014.
- C Yu, KK Wójcicki, PC Loizou, JHL Hansen, MT Johnson, “Evaluation of the importance of time-frequency contributions to speech intelligibility in noise”, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 135, no. 5, May 2014, 3007-3016.
- Marek B. Trawicki, Michael T. Johnson , “Speech enhancement using Bayesian estimators of the perceptually-motivated short-time spectral amplitude (STSA) with Chi speech priors”, Speech Communication, vol. 57, no. 2, February 2014, pp101-103.
- Liu Weiwei, Zhang Weiqiang, Johnson Michael T., Liu Jia, “Homogenous ensemble phonotactic language recognition based on SVM supervector reconstruction”, EURASIP Journal on Audio, Speech, and Music Processing vol. 2014 no. 1, January 2014, pp 1-13.
- Junhong Zhao, Wei-Qiang Zhang, Hua Yuan, Michael T Johnson, Jia Liu, Shanhong Xia, “Exploiting contextual information for prosodic event detection using auto-context”, EURASIP Journal on Audio, Speech, and Music Processing, vol. 2013, no. 1, December 2013 pp 1-14.
- Marek B. Trawicki, Michael T. Johnson , “Distributed multichannel speech enhancement based on perceptually-motivated Bayesian estimators of the spectral amplitude”, IET Signal Processing, vol. 7, no.4, April 2013, pp. 337-344.
- An Ji, Michael T. Johnson, Edward J. Walsh, JoAnn McGee, Doug L. Armstrong, Discrimination of individual tigers (Panthera tigris) from long distance roars, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America,vol. 133 no. 3, March 2013, pp1762-1769.
- Yongzhe Shi, Weiqiang Zhang, Jia Liu, Michael T. Johnson, “RNN language model with word clustering and class-based output layer”, EURASIP Journal on Audio, Speech, and Music Processing vol. 2013 no. 1, January 2013, pp1-7.
- Peter M. Scheifele, Michael T. Johnson, David C. Byrne, John G. Clark, Ashley Vandlik, Laura W. Kretschmer, Kristine E. Sonstrom, “Noise impacts from professional dog grooming forced-air dryers”, Noise and Health, vol. 14 no. 60, October 2012, p224-226.
- Wen-Lin Zhang, Wei-Qiang Zhang, Bi-Cheng Li, Dan Qu and Michael T. Johnson, “Bayesian Speaker Adaptation Based on a New Hierarchical Probabilistic Model”, IEEE Transactions on Speech and Language Processing, vol. 20 no. 7, July 2012, pp2002-2015.
- Yuxiang Shan, Yan Deng, Jia Liu, Michael T. Johnson, “Phone lattice reconstruction for embedded language recognition in LVCSR”, EURASIP Journal on Audio Speech and Music Processing, vol. 2012, no. 15, April 2012, pp1-13.
- Marek B. Trawicki, Michael T. Johnson, “Distributed multichannel speech enhancement with minimum mean-square error short-time spectral amplitude, log-spectral amplitude, and spectral phase estimation”. Signal Processing, vol. 92 no. 2, February 2012, pp 345-356.
- Peter M. Scheifele, Michael T. Johnson, Laura W. Kretschmer, John G. Clark, Deborah Kemper, Gopu Potty, “Ambient habitat noise and vibration at the Georgia Aquarium”, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 132 no. 2, February 2012, EL88-EL94.