Research Areas: Elastic Wave Propagation, Mechanics, Thermoelasticity
University of Kentucky, College of Engineering
Mechanical Engineering - ME
Northwestern University, Science Engineering B.S.1966
Northwestern University, Structural Mechanics M.S.1967
Northwestern University, Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Ph.D.1972
Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of Kentucky 7/1997-
Visitor, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC 1/1997-7/1997
Navy/ASEE Summer Faculty Research Fellow, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC 1983, 1985, 1987, 1990
Professor, Engineering Mechanics, University of Kentucky 7/1981-6/1981
Visitor, Engineering Science, University of Oxford 8/1980-6/1981
Associate Professor, Engineering Mechanics, University of Kentucky 7/1976-6/1981
Assistant Professor, Engineering Mechanics, University of Kentucky 9/1971-6/1976
Selection of refereed publications (2002 – )
- “Interface crack extension at any constant speed in orthotropic or transversely isotropic bimaterials – I. general exact solutions,” Int. J. Solids Struct. 39, 1165-1182 (2002).
- “Transient study of Mode III fracture in an elastic solid with a single plane of material symmetry,” ASME J. App. Mech. 70, 227-233 (2003).
- “Dynamic fracture of transversely isotropic coupled thermoelastic solids: wedging by a cylinder with friction,” J. Thermal Stresses 27, 1053-1073 (2004).
- “Rolling without slip on a transversely isotropic thermoelastic half-space,” J. Elasticity 77, 139-162 (2005).
- “Debonding of a thermoelastic material from a rigid substrate at any constant speed: thermal relaxation effects,” Acta Mech. 184, 171-188 (2006).
- “Stoneley wave generation in joined materials with and without thermal relaxation due to thermal mismatch,” ASME J. Appl. Mech. 74, 1019-1025 (2007).
- “Dynamic crack extension along the interface of materials that differ in thermal properties: convection and thermal relaxation,” ASME J. Appl.Mech. 75, 1-7 (2008).
- “Basic problems of coupled thermoelasticity with thermal relaxation and pre-stress: aspects observed in exact and asymptotic solutions,” J. Thermal Stresses 32(6-7), (special issue: 8th International Congress on Thermal Stresses Invited Lectures), 593-622 (2009).
- “Reflection and diffraction of plane temperature-step waves in orthotropic thermoelastic solids,” J. Thermal Stresses 33, 879-904 (2010).
- “Plane waves with dispersion dn decay” surface reflection for thermoelastic solids with thermal relaxation,” J. Thermal Stresses 34, 687-701 (2011).
- “Transient plane wave solutions to homogeneous equations of orthotropic thermoelasticity with thermal relaxation,” ASME J. Appl. Mech. 79, 1-6 (2012).
- Louis Milton Brock, “Two cases of rapid contact on an elastic half-space: sliding die, rolling sphere,” J. Mech. Matls. Struct. 7, 469-483 (2012)