Research Areas: Elastic Wave Propagation, Mechanics, Thermoelasticity
University of Kentucky, College of Engineering
Northwestern University, Science Engineering B.S.1966
Northwestern University, Structural Mechanics M.S.1967
Northwestern University, Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Ph.D.1972
Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of Kentucky 7/1997-
Visitor, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC 1/1997-7/1997
Navy/ASEE Summer Faculty Research Fellow, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC 1983, 1985, 1987, 1990
Professor, Engineering Mechanics, University of Kentucky 7/1981-6/1981
Visitor, Engineering Science, University of Oxford 8/1980-6/1981
Associate Professor, Engineering Mechanics, University of Kentucky 7/1976-6/1981
Assistant Professor, Engineering Mechanics, University of Kentucky 9/1971-6/1976
Selection of refereed publications (2002 – )
- “Interface crack extension at any constant speed in orthotropic or transversely isotropic bimaterials – I. general exact solutions,” Int. J. Solids Struct. 39, 1165-1182 (2002).
- “Transient study of Mode III fracture in an elastic solid with a single plane of material symmetry,” ASME J. App. Mech. 70, 227-233 (2003).
- “Dynamic fracture of transversely isotropic coupled thermoelastic solids: wedging by a cylinder with friction,” J. Thermal Stresses 27, 1053-1073 (2004).
- “Rolling without slip on a transversely isotropic thermoelastic half-space,” J. Elasticity 77, 139-162 (2005).
- “Debonding of a thermoelastic material from a rigid substrate at any constant speed: thermal relaxation effects,” Acta Mech. 184, 171-188 (2006).
- “Stoneley wave generation in joined materials with and without thermal relaxation due to thermal mismatch,” ASME J. Appl. Mech. 74, 1019-1025 (2007).
- “Dynamic crack extension along the interface of materials that differ in thermal properties: convection and thermal relaxation,” ASME J. Appl.Mech. 75, 1-7 (2008).
- “Basic problems of coupled thermoelasticity with thermal relaxation and pre-stress: aspects observed in exact and asymptotic solutions,” J. Thermal Stresses 32(6-7), (special issue: 8th International Congress on Thermal Stresses Invited Lectures), 593-622 (2009).
- “Reflection and diffraction of plane temperature-step waves in orthotropic thermoelastic solids,” J. Thermal Stresses 33, 879-904 (2010).
- “Plane waves with dispersion dn decay” surface reflection for thermoelastic solids with thermal relaxation,” J. Thermal Stresses 34, 687-701 (2011).
- “Transient plane wave solutions to homogeneous equations of orthotropic thermoelasticity with thermal relaxation,” ASME J. Appl. Mech. 79, 1-6 (2012).
- Louis Milton Brock, “Two cases of rapid contact on an elastic half-space: sliding die, rolling sphere,” J. Mech. Matls. Struct. 7, 469-483 (2012)