Director Kentucky Water Resources Research Institute
Director Kentucky Center of Excellence for Watershed Management
Associate Director of UK-NIEHS Superfund Research Center
Director Research Translation Core UK Superfund Basic Research Center
Chairman College of Engineering Environmental Engineering Certificate Program
Raymond-Blythe Professor of Civil Engineering
Research Areas: Genetic Algorithms/Artificial Neural Networks, GIS/Simulation Model Interface/Environmental Informatics, Mathematical Modeling of Hydraulic and Hydrologic Systems, Operations Research/Systems Analysis, TMDL Modeling and Methodologies, Water Distribution Network Modeling, Water Supply Planning, Watershed Management
University of Kentucky, College of Engineering
Kentucky Water Resources Research Institute
University of Kentucky B.S.C.E. 1978 Civil Engineering
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University M.S. 1979 Civil Engineering
Purdue University Ph.D 1983 Civil Engineering
2011 – Present: Director Kentucky Center of Excellence for Watershed Management
2010 – Present: Associate Director, UK Superfund Basic Research Program
2005 – Present: Director, Research Translation Core, UK Superfund Basic Research Program
2004 – Present: Director, Kentucky Water Resources Research Institute
2003 – Present: Raymond Blythe Endowed Professor of Civil Engineering
2003 – 2009: Director. Kentucky Research Consortium for Energy and the Environment
2001-2002: Director, Tracy Farmer Center for the Environment
1999-2004: Kentucky River Basin Coordinator
1999-2001: Associate Director, Kentucky Water Resources Research Institute
1998-1999: Acting Director, Kentucky Water Resources Research Institute
1997-1998: Visiting Researcher – Kentucky Environmental Protection Agency
1996-2003: Full Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Kentucky
1995-1996: Associate Director, Kentucky Water Resources Research Institute
1989-1996: Associate Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Kentucky
1983-1989: Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Kentucky
1979-1981: Project Engineer, Howard K. Bell Consulting Engineers
- Hennig, B., Ormsbee, L., McClain, C., Watkins, B., Blumberg, B. Bachas, L., Sanderson, W., Gatchett, A, Lambert, J, Thompson, C., Suk, W. (2012) “Nutrition Can Modulate the Toxicity of Environmental Pollutants: Implications in Risk Assessment and Human Health”, Environmental Health Perspectives, Vol. 120, (6), pp. 771-774.
- Gui, M., Smuleac, V., Ormsbee, L., Sedlack, D., and Bhattacharyya, D., (2012) “Iron Oxide Nanoparticle Synthesis in Aqueous and Membrane Systems for Oxidative Degradation of Trichloroethylene (TCE) from Water, J.of Nanoparticle Research, Feb, Vol. 14, (1).
- Meyer, D., Hampson, S., Ormsbee., L., Bhattacharyya, D.B., (2009) “A Study of Groundwater Matrix Effects for the Destruction of TCE using Fe/Pd Nanoaggregates” Journal of Environmental Progress and Sustainable Energy, Volume 28, (4), December, pp. 507-518.
- Ormsbee, L., Elshorbagy, A.,and Zechman, E., (2004) “Methodology for pH TMDLs: Application to Beech Creek Watershed,” ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering, Vol. 130, (2).
- Jain, A., and Ormsbee, L. (2002) “Short-term Water Demand Forecast Modeling Techniques- Conventional Methods Versus AI”, Journal of the AWWA, Vol 94, (7), pp. 64-72.
- Ormsbee, L, and Lingireddy, S., (1997) “Calibrating Hydraulic Network Models,” Journal of the AWWA, Vol 89, (2), pp 42-50.
- Ormsbee, L.E., and Lansey, K.E., (1994) “Optimal Control of Water Supply Pumping,” ASCE Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, Vol. 120, (2), pp. 237-252.
- Ormsbee, L.E. and Kessler, A., (1990) “Optimal Upgrading of Hydraulic Network Reliability,” ASCE Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, Vol. 116 (6), pp. 784-802.
- Ormsbee, L.E. and Khan, A.Q., (1989) “A Parametric Model for Steeply Sloping Forested Watersheds,” Water Resources Research, Vol. 25 (9), pp. 2053-2065
- Ormsbee, L.E., (1989) “Rainfall Disaggregation for Continuous Hydrologic Modeling,” ASCE Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol. 115 (4), pp. 507-528.
- Ormsbee L.E., Walski, T.M., Chase, D.V., and Sharp, W.W., (1989) “Methodology for Improving Pump Operation Efficiency,” ASCE Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, Vol. 115 (2), pp. 148-164.
- Ormsbee, L.E. and Wood, D.J., (1986) “Explicit Pipe Network Calibration,” ASCE Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, Vol. 112 (2), pp. 166-182.