Research Areas: Field instrumentation, ground modification, insitu and laboratory testing of soils, insitu response of geotechnical systems, monitoring of constructed facilities, performance prediction of supported excavations, soil improvement
University of Kentucky, College of Engineering
Civil Engineering - CE
Ph.D. in Civil Engineering , Northwestern University 12/2002
M.Eng. in Civil Engineering , Howard University 5/1992
B.S. in Civil Engineering, Florida A&M University 5/1987
Academic and Professional Experience
||University of Kentucky
||7/2012 – present
||University of Kentucky
||8/2006 – 7/2012
||11/2001 – 6/2006
|GE Faculty Intern
||9/2000 – 9/2001
|Teaching and Research Assistant
||9/1998 – 9/2000
||CH2M HILL, Inc.
||1/1992 – 9/1998
||Federal Highway Administration
||1/1990 – 1/1992
||Los Alamos National Laboratory
||1/1989 – 1/1990
- Bryson, L.S. and Zapata-Medina, D.G. (2012). “Method for Estimating System Stiffness of Excavation Support Systems,” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 138, No. 9, in print.
- Bryson, L.S., Gomez-Gutierrez, I.C. and Hopkins, T.C. (2012). “Development of a New Loss Slake Durability Index for Compacted Shales,” Engineering Geology, Vol.139-140, 66-75.
- Bryson, L.S., Jean-Louis, M. and Gabriel, C. (2012). “Determination of Insitu Moisture Content in soil from a Measure of Dielectric Constant,” International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 2, 251-259.
- Bryson, L.S. and Kotheimer, M.J. (2011). “Cracking in Walls of a Building Adjacent to a Deep Excavation,” Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, Vol. 25, No. 6, 491-503.
- Acton, P.M., Fox, J.F., Campbell, J.E., Jones, A.L., Rowe, H., Martin, D., and Bryson, L.S. (2011). “The Role of Soil Health in Maintaining Environmental Sustainability of Surface Coal Mining,” Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 45, 10265-10272.
- Bryson, L.S. and Salehian, A. (2011). “Performance of Constitutive Models in Predicting Behavior of Remolded Clay,” ACTA Geotechnica, Vol. 6, No. 3, 143-154.
- Bryson, L.S., Adu-Gyamfi, K., and Janbakhsh, L.A. (2011), “Physicochemical Analysis of Fly Ash-Modified Soils”, International Conference on Advances in Geotechnical Engineering, Perth, Australia, 7-9 November, 2011.
- Silva-Castro, J., Bryson, L.S. Gamber, N.K., and Lusk, B.T. (2011), “Numerical Modeling of Subsurface Blast”, 14th Pan-American Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (PCSMGE), Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 2-6 October, 2011.
- Bryson, L.S., and Walton-Macaulay, C. (2011). “The Effects of Fouling on the Deformation and Stiffness Behavior of Railroad Ballast,” International Symposium on Deformation Characteristics of Geomaterials, 31 August -3 September, 2011, Seoul, Korea.
- Gomzez-Guteuerrez, I. C., Bryson, L.S., and Hopkins, T.C. (2011). “Correlations between durability and geotechnical properties of compacted shale”, Geo-Frontiers 2011, Dallas, TX ,13-16 March 2011.