Research Areas: Image-Processing, Imaging Sensor/System Modeling, Vision System Hardware/Software Design
University of Kentucky, College of Engineering
Mechanical Engineering - ME
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
2002 – present Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Kentucky
2005 – 2006 AAAS/ASME Congressional Fellow (Office of Senator Byron Dorgan, D-ND)
1996 – 2002 Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Kentucky
1996 Woodruff Teaching Fellow, Georgia Institute of Technology
1995 ASME Graduate Teaching Fellow, Georgia Institute of Technology
1990 – 1995 Research/Teaching Assistant, Georgia Institute of Technology
1987 – 1990 Process/Project Engineer, Mobil Chemical Company
1985 – 1987 Engineer/Assoc. Production Engineer, Shell Western Exploration & Production, Inc.
1984 Summer Professional Engineer, Shell Western Exploration & Production, Inc.
1983 Field Engineer, Shell Western Exploration & Production, Inc.
- Gnanaprakasam, P., Parker, J., Ganapathiraman, S. and Hou, Z., 2008, “Efficient 3-D Characterization of Raised Topological Defects in smooth Specular Coatings,” Image and Vision Computing, Volume 27, Issue 4, Pages 319-330.
- Hou, Z., Li, J., and Parker, J., 2005, “Real-Time Automated Visual Inspection of Fabric Inhomogeneities,” Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM ’05), Monterey, California, July 2005.
- Parker, J. M. and Hou, Z. (2002), A Numerical Investigation of Diffuse Images for Effective Defect Detection, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, Vol. 216, No. 7, 1073 – 1079.
- Parker, J. M. (2001), A Robust Machine Vision System Design to Facilitate Effective Surface Appearance Automation, Invited Paper on Motion and Imaging, Proceedings of the 2001 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM ’01), Como, Italy, July, CD Edition, pp. 87-92.
- Lai, T. and Parker, J. M. (2000), “Vision System Design for Automated Quality Control of Specular Painted Surfaces,” Mechatronics and Machine Vision, John Billingsley, ed., Research Studies Press.
- Parker, J. M. and Lee, K. M. (1999), Physically Accurate Synthetic Images for Machine Vision System Design, ASME Trans. Journal of Engineering for Industry, Vol. 121, No. 4, pp. 763-770.