Director of Graduate Studies
Research Areas: Applied Mathematics, Combustion, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Convective Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics
University of Kentucky, College of Engineering
Mechanical Engineering - ME
BS Aeronautical-Astronautical Engineering, Ohio State University (1968)
MA Applied Mathematics, University of California, Los Angeles (1975)
PhD Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles (1980)
1999–pres.: Professor, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
1990–1999: Associate Professor, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
1983–1990: Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
1980–1983: Visiting Lecturer, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
1980–1987: Member of the Technical Staff, The Aerospace Corporation, El Segundo, CA
1977–1980: Graduate Research Assistant, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
1973–1976: Staff Mathematician, Prose, Inc., Los Angeles, CA
1968–1972: Engineer/Scientist, McDonnell Douglas Astronautics Co., Santa Monica, CA
- McDonough, J. M., Mukerji, S. and Chung, S., A Data-Fitting Procedure for Chaotic Time Series, Appl. Comput. Math. 95, 219–243, 1998.
- McDonough, J. M., Bible, S. A. and Scoville, J. Response to strain rate in a discrete dynamical system model of the high-wavenumber Navier–Stokes equations, J. Turbulence 4, 2003.
- McDonough, J. M. and Huang, M. T., A ‘poor man’s Navier–Stokes equation’: derivation and numerical experiments—the 2-D case, Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fluids 44, 545–578, 2004.
- Yang, Tianliang, McDonough J. M. and Jacob, J. D., 2-D ‘Poor Man’s Navier–Stokes Equation’ Model of Turbulent Flows, AIAA J. 41, 1690–1696, 2003.
- McDonough J. M. Three-dimensional poor man’s Navier–Stokes equation: A discrete dynamical system exhibiting k−5/3 inertial subrange scaling, Phys Rev E. 79, 065302(R), 2009.
- Majda, A., McDonough, J. M. and Osher, S., The Fourier Method for Non-Smooth Initial Data, Math. Comp. 32, 1041, 1978.
- Lee, C. K. B., McDonough, J. M. and Huang, M. T., Dimension Calculations for Low Flow Rate Steam Injection Experiments, Phys. Fluids 29, 2843, 1986.
- Heister, S. D., McDonough, J. M., Karagozian, A. R. and Jenkins, D. W., The Com- pressible Vortex Pair, J. Fluid Mech. 220, 339, 1990.
- Lee, C. K. B. and McDonough, J. M., Implementation of a Nonlinear Filter with a Lagrangian Formulation for the Treatment of Very High Pressure Reflected Shocks,
- J. Comput. Phys. 117, 289, 1995.
- McDonough, J. M., On Intrinsic Errors in Turbulence Models Based on Reynolds-Averaged Navier–Stokes Equations, Int. J. Fluid Mech. Res. 22, 27–55, 1995.