Director of Graduate Studies
Research Areas: Application of Metaheuristics, Manufacturing Systems, Mass Customization, Optimization
University of Kentucky, College of Engineering
Institute for Sustainable Manufacturing - ISM
Ph.D., Industrial Engineering, Ohio University
M.S., Industrial Engineering, Ohio University
M.B.A., Post Graduate Institute of Management
B.Sc., Engineering, University of Peradeniya
2013 – present Director of Graduate Studies, Manufacturing Systems Engineering (MFS) Program, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Kentucky
2011 – 2013 Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, University of Kentucky
2005 – 2011 Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Center for Manufacturing, University of Kentucky, KY
Spring 2002/Winter, Fall 2003 Instructor, Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering, Ohio University, Athens, OH
Summers 2001 – 2004 Graduate Research Assistant, Human Factors and Ergonomics Laboratory, Ohio Research Institute for Transportation and the Environment, Ohio University, Athens, OH
2004 – 2005 Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering, Ohio University, Athens, OH
1998-1999 Visiting Lecturer, Department of Science, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
1997 – 2000 Lecturer, Department of Production Engineering, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- F. Badurdeen, T.J. Goldsby, D. Iyengar, H. Metta, S. Gupta, and I.S. Jawahir, Extending total life-cycle thinking to sustainable supply chain design, International Journal of Product Lifecycle Management, Vol. 4, Issue 1/2/3, 2009, pp. 49-67.
- J. P. Liyanage, F. Badurdeen and Ratnayake, C., Industrial asset maintenance and sustainability performance: Economical, Environmental and Societal Implications, in Handbook on Maintenance Management and Engineering, Ben-Daya, M., Duffuaa, S.O. Raouf, A., Knezevic, J. and Ait-Kadi, D.(eds.),Springer Publishing, 2009, pp. 665-689.
- F. Badurdeen, H. Metta and B. Stump, Simulation models to demonstrate mass customization strategies, in Handbook of Research in Mass Customization and Personalization, Piller, F. and Tseng, M. (eds.), Volume 2, World Scientific Publishing, 2009, pp. 1005-1019.
- F. Badurdeen, P. Marksberry, A. Hall and B. Gregory, Simulations and games for teaching lean manufacturing, International Journal of Simulation and Gaming, on-line published April, 2009, DOI:10.1177/1046878109334331.
- B. Stump and F. Badurdeen, Integrating lean and other strategies for mass customization manufacturing: A Case Study, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, April 2009, DOI: 10.1007/s10845-009-0289-3.
- G. A. Suer, F. Badurdeen, and N. Dissanayake, Capacitated Lot Sizing by Using Multi-Chromosome Crossover Strategy, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, Vol. 19, Issue 3. pp. 273-282, 2008.
- M. Shuaib and F. Badurdeen, Job Scheduling in Associative Parallel Machines to Minimize Average Flow Time, Proceedings of the Indian Sub-continent Decision Sciences Institute (ISDSI) Conference, January 3-5, 2009, Mumbai, India, pp. 102 – 112.
- S. Thuramalla and F. Badurdeen, “Establishing Rules to Design a Minicell-based Manufacturing System for Mass Customization”, International Journal of Agile Systems and Management, Vol. 3, Nos. 1/2, 2008, pp. 93-111.
- F. Badurdeen and D.T. Masel, A Genetic Algorithm-based Approach to Design Minicells for Mass Customization Manufacturing, International Journal of Mass Customization, Vol. 2, Issue 3/4, 2008, pp. 282 – 302.
- F. Badurdeen and D.T. Masel, A Modular Minicell Configuration for Mass Customization Manufacturing, International Journal of Mass Customisation, Vol. 2, Nos. 1/2, 2007, pp. 39-56.