Georgia Institute of Technology Chemical Engineering B.S., 1989
Georgia Institute of Technology Chemical Engineering Ph.D., 1994
Princeton University Chemical Engineering Postdoc, 1994-95
July 2003 – July 2010 Co-Director of Graduate Studies, Chemical & Mat. Eng. Programs
July 2007 – present Professor, Dept. of Chemical and Materials Engineering University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
July 2001 – June 2007 Associate Professor, Dept. of Chemical and Materials Engineering University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
July 1995 – June 2001 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Chemical and Materials Engineering University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- K. Ghosh, H.-J. Lehmler, S.E. Rankin, B.L. Knutson, “Processing of Surfactant Templated
Nano-Structured Silica Films using Compressed Carbon Dioxide as Interpreted from In-Situ
Fluorescence Spectroscopy,” J. Phys. Chem. B 116: 11646-11655, 2012.
- H.-F. Li, B.L. Knutson, S.E. Nokes, B.C. Lynn, M.D. Flythe, “Metabolic control of Clostridium
thermocellum via inhibition of hydrogenase activity and the glucose transport rate,” Appl
Microbiol Biotechnol, 93(4), 1777-1784, 2012.
- K. Ghosh, H.-J Lehmler, S.E. Rankin, and B.L. Knutson, “Supercritical carbon dioxide swelling
of fluorinated and hydrocarbon surfactant templates in mesoporous silica thin films,” J. Colloid
& Interface Science, 367(1), 183-192, 2012.
- G. Osei-Prempeh, H.-J Lehmler, S.E. Rankin, and B.L. Knutson, “Direct Synthesis and
Accessibility of Amine-Functionalized Mesoporous Silica Templated Using Fluorinated
Surfactants. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 50(9), 5510-5522, 2011.
- G. Osei-Prempeh, A.F. Miller, H-.J. Lehmler, B.L. Knutson and S.E. Rankin, “Comparison of
fluorocarbon and hydrocarbon functional group incorporation into nanoporous silica employing
fluorinated and hydrocarbon surfactants as templates,” Micropor.Mesopor.Mater., 129, 189-199,
- V.A. Ojogun, S. Vyas, H.J. Lehmler and B. L. Knutson “Partitioning of homologous nicotinic
acid ester prodrugs (nicotinates) into dipalmitoylphosphatidylcholine (DPPC) membrane
bilayers,” Colloids and Surfaces, B: Biointerfaces, 78(1), 75-84, 2010.
- R. Xing, H.-J. Lehmler, B.L. Knutson, and S. E. Rankin, “Demixed Micelle Morphology
Control in Hydrocarbon/Fluorocarbon Cationic Surfactant Templating of Mesoporous Silica.”
J. Phys.Chem. C, 114(41), 17390-17400, 2010.
- V.A. Ojogun, B.L. Knutson, S. Vyas and H.-J. Lehmler “Fluorophilicity of Hydrocarbon and
Fluorinated Nicotinic Acid Esters Prodrugs,” J. of Fluorine Chemistry, 131(7), 784-790, 2010.
- V.A. Ojogun, H.J. Lehmler, and B. L. Knutson, “Cationic-Anionic Vesicle Templating from
Fluorocarbon/Fluorocarbon and Hydrocarbon/Fluorocarbon Surfactants,” Journal of Colloid and
Interface Science, 338(1), 82-91, 2009.
- M. Timmons, S.E. Nokes, B.L. Knutson, H.J. Strobel, and B.C. Lynn, “Analysis of Composition
and Structure of Clostridium thermocellum Membranes from Wild-type and Ethanol-adapted
Strains” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 82(5), 929-939, 2009.