Priority registration advising instructions for CS sophomores, juniors and seniors ONLY
(CS freshmen are to meet/contact their college advisors, 3rd floor FPAT, for more information.) Students currently on co-op, e-mail Kathy or Shelley for advising (Kathy@cs.uky.edu or SKDU222@uky.edu).
Winter ‘17 & spring ‘18 priority registration windows open:
- October 31 for Honors, athletes, ROTC, and students with disabilities
- November 1 & 2 for seniors
- November 3 & 6 for juniors
- November 7 & 9 for sophomores
(Verify your exact registration window on your myUK “Plan and Register” tab.)
Follow these four steps to make the advising process more productive:
1: SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT (NO DROP-IN MEETINGS) with your advisor. Appointments will be available October 4 – November 17.
All CS students will make their appointment through the online appointment scheduler on myUK: This system works best with FireFox and Explorer browsers. Appointments are available in 30-minute increments. A typical advising appointment will last 20 minutes. Appointments must be made and/or canceled 24 hours or more in advance.
To schedule an appointment, use the instructions below.
- Log on to myUK
- Click on the myInfo tab
- Click on the link at left that says "My Appointments"
- Select College of Engineering
- Click on Advising Appointment
- Select appointment date and then double click on the appointment time you desire
- Then click on "Create Appointment." You should see a confirmation that your appointment has been scheduled. You will receive an email on your UK email account confirming your appointment
- Click on "Close Appointment" and log off
- You will receive a second email reminder 72 hours in advance of your scheduled appointment. Should you need to cancel or reschedule, log on to myUK and re-enter the appointment scheduler to make your changes
Advisor availability is limited. If you wait to schedule your appointment--or if you miss your appointment--you may delay your registration until the Add/Drop window (November 29-December 18 and January 3-January 17).
2: PLAN COURSES: Prior to your advising appointment, please log into your myUK GPS Planner and plan courses for the spring 2018 semester AND fall 2018 semester. Pre-planning your courses is required by UK and the College of Engineering. To learn how to use the myUK GPS Planner to plan courses, visit here.
If you fail to plan for these two semesters you will be asked to reschedule your advising appointment due to your lack of preparation. This could result in a delay of your course registration as appointments fill rapidly.
Helpful Tip: To learn what courses can count for the computer science elective requirement and technical elective requirement, please click here and locate your CS Major Requirements sheet.
3a: MEET With ACADEMIC ADVISOR – (Kathy Ice-Wedding or Shelley Duncklee): You will meet with your assigned academic advisor BEFORE your faculty mentor.
3b: MEET with FACULTY MENTOR – Meet with your faculty mentor at least once this academic year, either in fall 2017 semester (December 8, 2017) or in spring 2018 semester BEFORE the start of priority registration advising in spring 2018 semester (around February 16, 2018), to discuss academic and professional opportunities. Each faculty mentor will have their own sign-up process (usually through email or office hours). Faculty mentors are assigned by the last digit of your student ID number. Your faculty mentor will sign the Faculty Mentor form at the end of your meeting. The signed faculty mentor form must be returned (emailed picture will suffice) to your assigned advisor. Without a signed form on file, the lifting of your advising hold will be delayed in spring 2018 semester.
(YY means that the faculty is not providing academic advising this semester—leave, sabbatical, or other assignments.)
Last digit – Faculty
- 0, 9 Fei, Zongming
- 0,1 Cheng, Fuhua
- 1,2 Cui, Licong
- 2,3 Wasilkowski, Greg
- 3,4 Finkel, Raphael
- 4,5 Liu, Jinze
- 5,6 Manivannan, Dakshnamoorthy
- 6,7 Goldsmith, Judy
- 7,8 Zhang, Jun
- 8,9 Hayes, Jane
- 8,9 Yu, Tingting
- 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 Jaromczyk, Jerzy, DUS
- YY Calvert, Ken
- YY Griffioen, Jim
- YY Harrison, Brent
- YY Joiner, Kevin W
- YY Keen, Debby
- YY Klapper, Andrew
- YY Linton, Paul
- YY Marek, Victor
- YY Moore, Neil
- YY Pike, Yi
- YY Silvestri, Simone
- YY Truszczynski, Mirek
- YY Yang, Ruigang
- 4: Check myUK for any HOLDS on your record (i.e. HAVEN, C.A.T.S., unpaid parking tickets, library fines, admissions, any unpaid UK bill, etc.) and address them. An “advisor hold” is normal; this will be lifted after you have met with your academic advisor. You will not be able to register until all holds are cleared.
5: Keep your appointment. Please be courteous of everyone’s time. The myAppointment system allows for cancellations 24 hrs in advance and/or email your advisor of your circumstances for last minute cancellations. If you are late for your appointment, please understand you may need to reschedule.