Research Areas: Sustainability, Green Engineering, Biofuels, Computer Aided Process Engineering,
Process Design, Process Safety, Appropriate Technology
University of Kentucky, College of Engineering
Extended Campus Programs – Paducah
4810 Alben Barkley Drive
P.O. Box 7380
Paducah, KY 42002-7380
Email: Contact me
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Auburn University
M.S., Chemical Engineering, University of South Alabama
B.S., Auburn University
2016 – Present PJC College of Engineering Professor
2014 – Present Associate Professor Dept. of Chem. and Matl. Eng., University of Kentucky
2008 – Present Assistant Professor Dept. of Chem. and Matl. Eng., University of Kentucky
2002 – 2006 Sr. Process Engineer Evonik Degussa Corporation, Mobile, Alabama
2000 – 2002 Process Engineer CDI Engineering Group, Mobile, Alabama
1996 – 2000 Process Engineer B E&K Engineering, Mobile, Alabama
- Sukumara, S., K. Darkwah and J. Seay (2015): “Process Simulations Supporting a Techno-Economic Framework to Optimize Biorefinery Supply Chains”, Computer Aided Chemical Engineering, Volume 37, pp 1985-1990.
Sukumara, S. J. Amundson, F. Badurdeen and J. Seay (2015): “A Comprehensive Techno-Economic Analysis Tool to Validate Long Term Viability of Emerging Biorefining Processes”, Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, Volume 17, Issue 7, pp 1793-1806.
Seay, J. (2015): “Education for Sustainability: Developing a Taxonomy of the Key Principles for Sustainable Process and Product Design”, Computers and Chemical Engineering, Volume 81, pp 147–152.
Seay, J. and J. Lumkes (2014): “Multi-University Partnership for Global Service Learning in Sub-Saharan Africa”, International Journal of Service Learning in Engineering, Special Issue, pp 367-380, Fall 2014.
Seay, J. and F. Badurdeen (2014): “Current Trends and Directions in Achieving Sustainability in the Biofuel and Bioenergy Supply Chain”, Current Opinion in Chemical Engineering, No. 6, pp 55-60.
Sukumara, S., W. Faulkner, J. Amundson, F. Badurdeen and J. Seay (2013): “Multidisciplinary Optimization Model for Region Specific Sustainable Biorefining”, Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, Vol. 16, Issue 6, pp 1027-1044. SEF Student Paper Award Honorable Mention.
Whipple, W., B. Butler, C. Sterrie and J. Seay (2013): “Design and Optimization of a Novel Process for the Production of Biodiesel Suitable for Underdeveloped Regions”, Journal of Green Building, Vol. 8, No. 3.
Seay, J., I. Zama and B. Butler (2012): “International Partnership Helping to Bring Appropriate Biofuel Technology to Rural Cameroon”, International Journal of Service Learning in Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 2.
Amundson, J., W. Faulkner, S. Sukumara, J. Seay, F. Badurdeen, (2012). “A Bayesian Network Based Approach for Risk Modeling to Aid in Development of Sustainable Biomass Supply Chains”, Computer Aided Chemical Engineering, Vol. 30, pp. 152 – 156. Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals (CSCMP) Paper Award.
Sukumara, S., Amundson, J., W. Faulkner, F. Badurdeen, J. Seay (2012). “Multidisciplinary Approach in Developing Region a Specific Optimization Tool for Integrated Biorefining”, Computer Aided Chemical Engineering, Vol. 30, pp. 157 – 161.
Currently working on collaborative research projects with the Institute for Sustainable Manufacturing and the Consortium for Fossil Fuel Science in the areas of biomass utilization, supply chain optimization and life cycle analysis. Additionally, collaborative educational projects with the AIChE Sustainable Engineering Forum to developing educational modules to incorporate sustainability into core chemical engineering courses is ongoing. Finally, a collaborative effort is underway with 4-H groups in western Kentucky to develop a demonstration scale biodiesel plant for educational and research purposes.
Collaborators and Other Affiliations
- Robert D’Alessandro Evonik Industries
- Mario Eden Auburn University
- Klaus Huthmacher Evonik Industries
- Robert Jernigan Auburn University
- David Silverstein Univ. of Kentucky
- Jimmy Smart Univ. of Kentucky
- Hubert Redlingshoefer Evonik Industries
- Thomas Thomas Univ. of South Al.
- Christoph Weckbecker Evonik Industries
- Holger Werhan Univ. of Stuttgart
- Robert Hesketh Rowan University
- Fazleena Badurdeen Univ. of Kentucky
- Graduate Advisors
- Mario R. Eden, Ph.D. PhD Thesis Advisor Auburn University
- Christopher Roberts, Ph.D PhD Thesis Committee Member Auburn Univeristy
- Jin Wang, Ph.D PhD Thesis Committee Member Auburn Univeristy
- Thomas Thomas, Ph.D PhD Thesis Committee Member University of South Alabama
- Robert D’Alessandro PhD Thesis Committee Member Evonik Industries
- Nicholas Sylvester Master’s Thesis Advisor University of South Alabama
- Jagdish Dhawan, Ph.D Master’s Thesis Committee Member University of South Alabama
- Ted Huddleston, Ph.D Master’s Thesis Committee Member Deceased
- Helmut Wendeler, Ph.D Master’s Thesis Committee Member Evonik Industries
- Andreas Sabbagh, Ph.D Master’s Thesis Committee Member Evonik Industries
- Guida Bendrich, Ph.D Master’s Thesis Committee Member University of New Brunswick