February 22, 1865 – Provisions of the Morrill Land-Grant Act implemented; Agricultural and Mechanical College of Kentucky made part of Kentucky University (founded as Transylvania University).
1869 – Instruction given in the School of Civil Engineering and Mining.
Fall 1871 – Tuition was $5.00; room and board was $1.50 to $2.00 per semester.
March 1878 – A&M College removed from Kentucky University; made an independent state institution; James K. Patterson named President
February 1880 – City of Lexington donated its old fair grounds to relocate A&M College.
February 15, 1882 – A&M College moves to its new campus composed of three buildings: President’s home, boys dormitory (became White Hall), and college building (today the Administration Building).
September 1886 – Course added to curriculum that led to the degree of Civil Engineer; enrollment for entire institution was 296.
1889 – A Department of Engineering was established; William Newbrough served as Dean.
June 1890 – John Wesley Gunn received the degree of Civil Engineer; considered the first person to graduate with an engineering degree from A&M College.
June 1891 – Department of Mechanical Engineering established by F. Paul Anderson.
Summer 1891 – Construction of Mechanical Hall began; completed January 1892.
Spring 1893 – First Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree awarded to James Richard (Colonel Dick) Johnson.
1895-1896 – First organized course in mining engineering offered.
1897 – Courses in electrical engineering were incorporated into the mechanical engineering curriculum.
1901 – Department of Mining Engineering established; Charles J. Norwood appointed Dean.
April 1902 – Alpha Chapter of Tau Beta Pi was established.
1903 – Average starting salary for engineering graduates was $53 per month.
1904 – First Bachelor of Mining Engineering degree awarded to Robert Hargrove Barclay.
1906 – 248 students of the total enrollment of 437 were registered in engineering.
March 1908 – Legislature changed the name of A&M College of Kentucky to State University, Lexington, Kentucky. The three engineering departments became schools.
1909 – The word “School” was changed to College for each of the three engineering schools.
June 1914 – Henry J. Jakobe and Oliver W. Smith, Jr. received first degrees of Bachelor of Metallurgical Engineering.
March 16, 1916 – Legislature changed the name from State University, Lexington, Kentucky to University of Kentucky.
June 1916 – Margaret Ingels, first woman graduate, received a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree.
1916 – Name of Mining Engineering College was changed to College of Mines and Metallurgy.
September 18, 1918 – Board of Trustees combined the Engineering Colleges into the College of Engineering; named F. Paul Anderson Dean. Seven departments were organized: Civil Engineering, Daniel V. Terrell; Mechanics of Engineering, Leon K. Frankel; Drawing, Louis E. (Butch) Nollau; Mines and Metallurgy, Charles J. Norwood; Electrical Engineering, William E. Freeman; Practical Mechanics, Joseph Dicker; Mechanical Engineering, F. Paul Anderson. Bachelor of Science degrees were offered in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, and Mining Engineering.
1920 – Average starting salary for engineering graduates was $100 per month.
1921 – First degrees of Bachelor of Science in Metallurgical Engineering awarded.
May 25, 1927 – Henry D. Wendt Shop, the first section of the Quadrangle dedicated.
April 8, 1934 – F. Paul Anderson died; William E. Freeman served as acting Dean until January 1935, then Daniel V. Terrell was named acting Dean until June 1935; degree of Architectural Engineering was added; Mechanical and Electrical Engineering were separated with degrees offered in each.
June 1, 1935 – James H. Graham appointed Dean of the College of Engineering; graduate studies leading to the degrees of Master of Science in Engineering offered.
Class of 1936 – Awarded the first Bachelor of Science degrees in Electrical Engineering.
1936-1939 – Construction of three buildings, with the Wendt Shop, comprised the Quadrangle.
1937 – Bachelor of Science degree in architectural engineering was dropped; architecture was added to Civil Engineering as an option.
1939 – All departments of the College were housed under one roof in the combined Mechanical Hall/Engineering Quadrangle.
1941 – Program known as Engineering, Sciences, Management, and War Training began and continued through June 1945; construction of the Aeronautical Research Laboratory (now Wenner Gren Research Laboratory) was completed.
1942 – Army Engineer School courses given; quarter term system inaugurated; Highway Materials Research Laboratory was built.
1943 – Army Specialist Training Program with accredited courses in Civil, Mechanical, and Electrical Engineering formally authorized; continued until October 1945. Coal Research Laboratory erected.
1944 – Because of the war, only 66 students enrolled in the College during the spring quarter.
September 21, 1946 – James H. Graham retired and Daniel V. Terrell named Dean; engineering Experiment Station established by an act of the Board of Trustees.
1948 – Name of Engineering Quadrangle, including old Mechanical Hall, changed to F. Paul Anderson Tower in honor of Dean F. Paul Anderson; University returned to the semester system; for year ending June 30, Engineering College enrollment was 1,572; University enrollment was 9,991; Kentucky Department of Highways Scholarship Program started.
1951 – Holloway Fields, Jr. became the first African-American awarded an under-graduate degree at UK when he received the Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering.
1951 – First unit of Mineral Industries Building completed.
1953 – First doctor of engineering degree (metallurgy) awarded to Carl J. McHargue.
September 1956 – Departments of Agricultural Engineering and Chemical Engineering established.
July 1, 1957 – Dean D.V. Terrell retired and Robert E. Shaver named Dean of the College of Engineering.
1963 – Average starting salary: $600/month.
August 1964 – Mechanical Hall razed; construction of F. Paul Anderson Tower Tower started; dedicated April 8, 1967.
July 1966 – Robert M. Drake, Jr. named Dean of the College of Engineering.
1968 – Name of the Department of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering changed to Department of Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science.
July 1, 1972 – A grant was awarded establishing the Institute for Mining and Minerals Research by the state legislature; operated by the College of Engineering.
July 1, 1972 – Robert M. Drake, Jr. appointed Vice President of the University of Kentucky; James E. Funk named Dean of the College of Engineering.
July 1, 1979 – Roger Eichhorn named Dean of the College of Engineering.
January 1, 1981 – State Transportation Research Program transferred to College.
July 1982 – Donald C. Leigh appointed interim Dean.
September 1, 1983 – Ray M. Bowen assumes duties as Dean of the College.
January 1986 – Ground breaking for the Mining & Mineral Resources Building; dedicated April 8, 1988.
December 1987 – Ground breaking for the UK Center for Manufacturing; dedicated April 20, 1990.
1988 – Construction began on the new Agricultural Engineering Building; dedicated June 1990.
1988 – Name of the Department of Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science changed to Department of Materials Science and Engineering.
July 1, 1989 – Ray M. Bowen resigns as dean; Vincent P. Drnevich named interim dean.
August 1990 – Thomas W. Lester named Dean of the College of Engineering.
1991 – Broadcast of first graduate courses through the College’s Extended Campus Program.
July 1991 – Demolition of civil engineering and machine shop wings of the Quadrangle; construction of Civil Engineering/Kentucky Transportation Center Building and ASTeCC (Advanced Science and Technology Commercialization Center) began.
July 1, 1994 – Department of Computer Science transferred from College of Arts and Sciences to College of Engineering.
1995 – Department of Agricultural Engineering was changed to Department of Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering.
1995 – UK Distance Learning awarded first Master of Engineering (Mining) degree earned entirely via satellite to Eric Bauer of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
April 4, 1995 – Department of Engineering Mechanics was consolidated into the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
1996 – First undergraduate engineering courses offered at Paducah.
June 10, 1997 – The Departments of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering were combined into the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering.
April 1998 – Dedication of Crounse Hall, located at Paducah Community College.
May 1998 – Demolition of the Wendt Shop and the remaining Quadrangle building, making room for a new Mechanical Engineering/Student Commons building to be constructed in the year 2000.
October 1998 – Transportation Research Building renamed S.J. “Sam” Whalen Building; Civil Engineering/Kentucky Transportation Center renamed the Oliver H. Raymond Building.
September 1999 – The College of Engineering’s Center for Aluminum Technology was established.
2000 – The Hardymon Building was constructed. The building houses the Alliance for Networking Excellence, the Laboratory for Advanced Networking and office space for UK’s Information Technology unit.
2002 – The Ralph G. Anderson Building was completed and is home to the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
2010 – The Davis Marksbury Building was completed and represents Phase II of UK’s Digital Village for research activity conducted by faculty in the UK Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments, the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and the Department of Computer Science, all of which are part of the UK College of Engineering. It was UK’s first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) – certified Gold project by the U.S. Green Building Council.