The Minority Engineering Program (MEP) at the University of Kentucky was established in 1999. Our mission is to motivate students in underrepresented groups (African American, Hispanic, Native American) to choose engineering as their field of study, and to create a supportive learning environment that facilitates graduation from the College of Engineering.
- Provide an infrastructure of academic and social support to ensure the highest levels of academic achievement, culminating in graduation.
- Help students develop and maintain the engineering attitude and a single-minded focus on building an engineering career.
- Help students develop academically, personally, and professionally in preparation for their next career challenge.
- Facilitate community building among students, staff and faculty, and industry professionals.
- Assist the student chapters of the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) and the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) with organizational and project needs.
- Academic and career counseling
- Workshops to sharpen academic and study skills
- Informational seminars for freshmen and transfer students that assist with the transition to UK, and give strategies for progressing through the engineering curriculum.
- Social activities geared toward community building.
National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
For information on the National Society of Black Engineers student organization, please see http://www.engr.uky.edu/~nsbe
Minority Student Scholarships
The Minority Student Fiscal Affairs Office administers the William C. Parker Scholarship for African American Students. For more information, please contact:
Ms. Joyce Beatty
Director, Minority Student Fiscal Affairs
University of Kentucky
563 Patterson Office Tower
Lexington, KY 40506-0027
For information on all College of Engineering scholarships, including those specifically for minority students, please contact:
Dr. Jane Riggs
Director, Student Affairs
UK College of Engineering
369 Ralph G. Anderson Building
Lexington, KY 40506-0503