Present Educational Objectives (effective Fall 2010)
Approved by Faculty, April 21, 2010
Consistent with the vision and mission statements of the University of Kentucky and the College of Engineering, the undergraduate program in mechanical engineering will prepare our graduates for successful practice or academic pursuits in mechanical engineering.
Our educational objectives are:
- Our graduates will practice mechanical engineering in a variety of fields as professionals and/or be recruited to graduate and professional schools in their career paths.
- Our graduates will communicate effectively, work in diverse teams, address the challenges of a global society, and exhibit leadership, ethics, and creativity in their work places.
- Our graduates will value continuing education and professional growth by supporting or participating in professional societies, licensure programs, short courses, or other professional development activities.
Previous Educational Objectives (in force October 2003 – Summer 2010)
Approved by Faculty, October 3, 2003
Consistent with the Vision and Mission statements of the University of Kentucky, the undergraduate program in Mechanical Engineering strives to meet the following educational objectives:
- Our graduates will have the knowledge in analytical, computational, and experimental methods to begin engineering practice or continue their education. This will include the ability to design components and systems and to solve engineering problems using current analysis and computational methods.
- Our graduates will have a broad education and the communication skills needed for a variety of career options and an appreciation of the need for life-long learning.
- Our graduates will have an understanding of the societal, environmental and ethical responsibilities of engineers.