Anderson Tower is named in honor of the College of Engineering’s first dean, F. Paul Anderson. Opened in 1967, it houses the departments of Chemical and Materials Engineering and Electrical and Computer Engineering. Engineering Computing Services and the Robert E. Shaver Engineering Library, and classrooms, are also located in the Tower.
Assignable Square Feet: 61,000
Ralph G. Anderson Building
The Ralph G. Anderson Building was completed in 2002 and is home to the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Engineering Administration. It contains nearly 60,000 square feet of useable space, and includes instructional labs, research facilities, computer labs, a student commons area, classrooms and faculty and administrative offices. The Anderson Building completed the university’s initiative to develop a modern engineering complex.
Assignable Square Feet: 59,000
The Advanced Science and Technology Commercialization Center, better known as ASTeCC, is UK’s premier business incubator housing new and emerging technology-based companies. Startup companies in ASTeCC have licensed UK intellectual property or have a connection to UK faculty or staff. ASTeCC is also home to faculty labs for research with commercialization potential, and shared-use facilities for the entire campus, including the Electron Microscopy Center, the Mass Spectrometry Facility and the Center for Nanoscale Science and Engineering.
Assignable Square Feet: 37, 600 (11,500 Engineering allocation)
Charles E. Barnhart Building
The Charles E. Barnhart Building, formerly known as the Agricultural Engineering Building, houses the Department of Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, its offices and laboratories. In addition, several College of Agricultural units are also located in the Barnhart Building including the Agricultural Weather Center, the Department of Agricultural Economics, International Programs for Agriculture, and the Community and Economic Development Initiative of Kentucky.
Assignable Square Feet: 67,400 (25,000 BAE allocation)
Center for Aluminum Technology
The Center for Aluminum Technology is located off-campus on the UK Coldstream Research Campus. The facility houses both offices and research laboratories, including a metallurgical research laboratory specializing in aluminum. CAT is a multidisciplinary center providing research and educational services to the aluminum industry in the United States.
Assignable Square Feet: 9,000
Davis Marksbury Building
The Davis Marksbury Building, opened in 2011, represents Phase II of UK’s Digital Village. The nearly 25,000 square foot facility hosts the Department of Computer Science, the Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments, and computer engineering faculty from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. It is UK’s first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) – certified Gold project by the U.S. Green Building Council.
Assignable Square Feet: 22,500
D. V. Terrell Building
The Terrell Building is home to College of Engineering student team projects including the Solar Car, Concrete Canoe, Baja Car and Chemical Car. The offices of the UK Energy Club and the Power and Energy Institute of Kentucky (PEIK) Energy Assessment student evaluators are also located in the Terrell Building.
Assignable Square Feet: 6,700
Electrical Engineering Annex
The Engineering Annex, formerly the Mining Engineering Laboratory, contains research laboratories for power engineering and computer science as well as open access computer labs. The Intermodal Transportation unit of the Kentucky Transportation Center is also located in the Annex. The building was constructed in 1907, making it the oldest of the College’s buildings.
Assignable Square Feet: 6,300
James F. Hardymon Building
The Hardymon Building houses faculty offices and research laboratories for the Department of Computer Science. UK’s Office of Information Technology and Chief Information Officer are also located in Hardymon. It was the first building in the University’s Digital Village.
Assignable Square Feet: 7,300 (Engineering allocation)
Mining and Mineral Resources Building
The Mining and Mineral Resources Building was dedicated in 1988 and is home to the Department of Mining Engineering. Among the Department’s facilities in MMRB are instructional and research laboratories as well as offices and a library. The building also houses the Kentucky Geological Survey, the Kentucky Water Resources Research Institute and the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences coal group.
Assignable Square Feet: 57,600 (21,600 Mining allocation)
Oliver H. Raymond Building
The Oliver H. Raymond Building houses the Department of Civil Engineering including its classrooms, laboratories and computing facilities. The Kentucky Transportation Center, which provides research expertise aimed at improving the state’s transportation system, is also located in the Raymond Building.
Assignable Square Feet: 40,300
Robotics Building (CRMS Building)
The CRMS Building is the focal point for advanced manufacturing research and instruction activities in the College of Engineering. The offices and research facilities for the Lean Systems unit of the Institute of Research for Technology Development (IR4TD) and the Institute for Sustainable Manufacturing (ISM) are found in this building.
Assignable Square Feet: 35,800
S. J. “Sam” Whalen Building
The Whalen Building opened in 1968 as the on-campus location of the Kentucky Transportation Center. Today, research laboratories for both chemical and materials engineering faculty are sited in the Whalen Building. The Environmental Analysis Section of the Kentucky Transportation Center is found here and the KTC Garage is adjacent to the building.
Assignable Square Feet: 15,500
Wenner-Gren Research Laboratory and Addition
The offices and laboratories of the Center for Biomedical Engineering are housed in the Wenner-Gren Building. The original building, which opened in 1941, houses areas for large-scale research projects. The addition, completed in 1977, contains faculty offices and additional research laboratories.
Laboratory Completed: 1941; Addition Completed: 1977
Laboratory Assignable Square Feet: 12,400;
Addition Assignable Square Feet: 5,700