UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY
COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
November 3, 2012
- 1. The name of this organization is the University of Kentucky College of Engineering Alumni Association.
- 1. The purpose of this association is to promote through membership and activities a greater appreciation of the work and goals of the college, to build financial support for its many programs, to advise and counsel as to the college’s future plans, to serve as a general liaison between the college and its graduates, and to assist in the recruitment of students.
- 1. Graduates of the University of Kentucky College of Engineering who have an interest in the College are eligible for membership in this association and are encouraged to participate fully in its activities and programs.
- 2. The College of Engineering Alumni Association shall promote interest in the life of the College by hosting events open to all Alumni. These events shall be conducted at times and places as determined by the Association’s Board of Directors.
- 1. This association shall be governed by a Board of Directors representative of the number of graduates by the college departments, provided that each department has at least one representative.
- 2. The Board shall consist of not more than 25 Directors. The exact number of Directors can be determined by the Board to meet its current needs.
- 3. Directors of the Board shall be appointed to the Board by the President of the association in consultation with the Dean of the College of Engineering and the Dean’s staff. The current Board shall ratify appointments to the Board by a majority vote of the Directors participating in the meeting during which the nomination is made. The Dean of the College or his/her representative, and the current President of the Engineering Student Council shall serve as ex-officio Directors of the board.
- 4. Officers of the association shall include a president, vice-president, and secretary. Finances of the association shall be managed by the staff member of the College responsible for alumni programs.
- 5. The Board shall have an Executive Committee, composed of the Officers who are authorized to act for the Board and the association.
- 6. Directors on the Board shall serve two (2) year terms, on even years with terms beginning July 2012. At the end of each two year term, the Executive Committee shall inquire with each Director individually as to their continued interest in participation with the Board. Interested Director’s terms shall be renewed for an additional two (2) years. There is no limit to the number of terms a Director may serve. Directors appointed to fill a position shall be appointed for the term. The director may then be eligible for subsequent full terms.
- 7. All officers will serve two-year terms on odd years beginning July 2013. The president may not serve two successive terms and the vice-president will succeed the president when their term is expired. The vice-president will lead all meetings in the absence of the president. Officers of the association must be elected from the Board membership and must have a term remaining on the Board at least as long as the term of the office to which they are being elected or accept re-appointment to an additional term extending beyond the term of the office.
- 1. The board shall prepare, adopt, and maintain a series of by-laws which govern all procedures of the association.
- 2. The by-laws may be amended by an affirmative vote of a majority of the Directors participating in a meeting of the Board, provided that the text of a proposed amendment shall be furnished electronically, or by other means, to each Director of the Board at least ten days before the meeting at which a vote on the amendment will be taken.
- 1. The Board of Directors shall hold meetings quarterly as necessary to conduct the business of the Association. Board of Directors and Executive Committee meetings will be held quarterly and will be set at the spring quarterly board meeting for the next fiscal year.
- 2. Additional meetings shall be called by the President or his/her designee as needed. Notification of additional meetings to the Directors shall be by electronic mail communication, and shall be considered an official meeting if notification is given at least seven (7) days in advance of the meeting.
- 3. The Directors present at a meeting called according to the guidelines above shall be considered a quorum for conducting business. Participation in meetings of the Association may be in person, or by teleconference or video conference. Directors participating by teleconference or video conference shall be considered present at the meeting, and may vote on matters before the Board just as a Director attending the meeting in person. A simple majority vote shall be required for all items of business before the Association. The Directors are expected to participate in a significant amount of the meetings, events, and activities.
*Revised and Approved 11/3/2012