Bailey and Berron win NSF CAREER awards

posted in: CME, ME, News | 0

Mechanical engineering professor Sean Bailey and chemical engineering professor Brad Berron have each earned prestigious CAREER awards from the National Science Foundation. The CAREER award is one of the NSF’s highest awards and it supports junior faculty who “exemplify the role of teacher-scholars through outstanding research, excellent education and the integration of education and research within the context of the mission of their organizations.”

Bailey, who has been at UK since 2010, will use the award to further his research into the spatial structure of turbulence in the atmospheric boundary layer using unmanned aerial vehicles.

“This is a really exciting opportunity to use developing technology to tackle fundamental scientific questions. I owe a debt of gratitude to Dr. Suzanne Smith and her students who let me use the resources of the Unmanned Systems Research Lab to get this research program off the ground… literally,” said Bailey.

Berron, who arrived in 2011, is investigating improved techniques for cell-based therapies—transplanting cells to naturally restore biological function.

“It means a lot to me that my peers in research think highly of what my lab is accomplishing,” said Berron. “The students and postdocs in my lab have made significant progress in developing a completely new method of finding the cells we want within mixtures of cells. By only protecting the cells we want to keep, it makes it easy to expose the entire mixture to some harsh conditions to kill off all of the other unprotected cells. This research award will investigate multiple ways of killing cells to see if we can design coatings to protect the cells we want.”

Thanks for sharing our posts: